The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2009, 09:24 PM   #1
RickV

Walnut Media

Just thought I would throw this out there for anyone looking for a good price on walnut media. Me and a Bud split a 25lb box of 24 grit walnut media from Harbor Freight. It was $25 ($26 and some change after the state got their piece of the action) so it works out to just over $1 a pound. Not a bad price especially if you split it.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:31 PM   #2
cgaengineer

Just so you know you can find Walnut media at PetSmart if you have one near you.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:26 PM   #3
Inspector3711

Walmart pet section...$7 15 lbs.
Old February 13, 2009, 06:20 AM   #4
cgaengineer

My WalMart doesnt carry walnut media? I hate WalMart anyways...nothing but Chycom junk anymore.

At my WalMart you are lucky if they restock something that was sold out.
Old February 13, 2009, 07:42 AM   #5
RickV

Not sure about the stuff at Wally World or Petsmart but the stuff at Harbor Freight is a fner grit which is for polishing Brass and Aluminum. Usually material used for litter is coarser grained.
Old February 13, 2009, 07:47 AM   #6
robfromga

Good heads up! My wally world doesnt stock the walnut, Im with 5 walmarts and they dont have it. Never thought to check Harbor Frieght....one more thing to order
Old February 13, 2009, 11:55 PM   #7
Inspector3711

The stuff I buy is finer than cat litter... It looks just like the Harbor Freight stuff (I shop there too). As for Walmart selling chinese crap, so does Sears or anyone else. If you don't want to buy chinese now then you can't go shopping.

The neighbor's wife had a baby a couple of months ago. For the baby shower she stipulated that no clothes be of chinese manufacture. After a trip around Seattle with my wife she had to change that requirement. There are very few clothes for babies made anywhere else.

I buy ammo (American made), walnut shell and corn cob (American made), and beer (American made) at Walmart once in awhile. I stay away from electronics and tools there though. I've seen them throwing DVD player boxes around.... The tools they carry are Stanley and they are garbage. I do buy grocieries there from time to time but not often because it's a 20 minute drive. I will say they only carry chinese fish so I never buy seafood there. The danged frozen salmon filets labeled "Alaskan caught" in big bold lettering says "product of China" on the back in fine print. I almost went cross eyed on that one.

I own two American cars and only one imported firearm and it's a Springfield XDm. Hey, when I want a new TV please tell me where to go to buy American. Simple fact is though, it's all stores not just Walmart. Where's your Craftsman drill made?
Old February 14, 2009, 12:01 AM   #8
onehitwonder

an american drove the truck to deliver it. an american put it on the shelf. thats the people we need to be thinking about.
Old February 14, 2009, 12:02 AM   #9
Inspector3711

The stuff I buy is finer than cat litter... It looks just like the Harbor Freight stuff (I shop there too and if you wanna talk about chicom crap... HF is as bad or worse.). As for Walmart selling chinese crap, so does Sears or anyone else. If you don't want to buy chinese now then you can't go shopping.

That's our fault as consumers. Now we're paying dearly for it.

The neighbor's wife had a baby a couple of months ago. For the baby shower she stipulated that no clothes be of chinese manufacture. After a trip around Seattle with my wife she had to change that requirement. There are very few clothes for babies made anywhere else.

I buy ammo (American made), walnut shell and corn cob (American made), and beer (American made) at Walmart once in awhile. I stay away from electronics and tools there though. I've seen them throwing DVD player boxes around.... The tools they carry are Stanley and they are garbage.

I own two American cars and only one imported firearm and it's a Springfield XDm. Hey, when I want a new TV please tell me where to go to buy American.