The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2009, 07:48 PM   #1
FLRich

TAC Power for 168gr .308 in M1A

Subject line says most of it. Just got some TAC powder, never used it, actually never reloaded rifle just pistol over the years except for 7mmTCU which is KIND of like rifle.

I am looking for a starting load for a 168gr Sierra Match King to be used in my M1A. The on-line manual does not show 168 grains, I have some Winchester and Wolf primers in my inventory that I plan to use with the TAC.

All the local shops are out of Varget that I really wanted to try but one suggested TAC and from the looks of it a lot of people on the internet seem to love it.
Old February 13, 2009, 12:16 AM   #2
highbrow

My bottle of TAC lists 43gr as max for 168gr on the side panel. I generally use 40-41gr for 165gr SP in my bolt actions and 168s in my M1A. Good powder.

There are some corners of this country which have bred the most terrible things, things that act against everything we believe in. They must be fought. FBHO- Free Edward Snowden
Old February 13, 2009, 02:18 PM   #3
scsov509

Sierra's 5th edition manual lists the 168 MatchKing with TAC as follows:
  • Start load 38.8
  • Max load 42.0
  • C.O.A.L. 2.800"
Old February 13, 2009, 08:45 PM   #4
FLRich

I will need to get a few load books, all the ones I have are pistol except for one TC load book. The local dealer did not have many except for Nosler and I have only used Sierra and Hornady over the years, actually I have loaded very little jacketed. The tens of thousands rounds I have made between myself and my wife were mostly cast by myself with some Hensley Gibbs Moulds or purchased from a casting business that was somewhat local to me back in FL.

Thanks for the info guy's...I don't think I am going to push my luck tomorrow considering the day it is I'll probably end up cleaning the house BUT I may get to mount my presses on Sunday and at least set them up.