The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 5, 2010, 04:49 PM   #1
golfnutrlv

Jacket seperation while loading .308 help!!!

Hey everyone, was reloading some .308 winchester today, to the specs I have used to load hundreds and hundreds of rounds, and something troubling happened.

I loaded a couple rounds and the jacket on the bullets is partially seperating while seating the bullet. I have never had this happen before.SEE PIC BELOW!

I tried two kinds of brass (Remington, and Federal), two kinds of bullet, Hornady 168 AMAX, and 168 Match BTHP and had the same thing happen!!

I also inspected my RCBS seater die, and don't see anything wrong at all.

Can anyone help me out here?? I don't want to ruin any more good bullets. I was reloading .30-06 with the same bullets a few days ago, and had no problems.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Pic Here:
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 5, 2010, 04:51 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

did you trim the brass??? try the chamfer tool on the inside of the neck..seems that there is a lip on the top of the brass...if not that...then your die may have lube buildup and is making the brass a little tight....chamfering will take care of either of the problems.
Old December 5, 2010, 04:59 PM   #3
snuffy

Those cases were NOT INSIDE chamfered. The jackets are not separated, just cut by the sharp edge of the un-chamfered brass mouth. Also looks like the mouths were not round either.

That's why I use this chamfer tool;

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=342199

It gives a much longer taper to the inside lip of the neck. It also cuts smoother.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 5, 2010, 09:27 PM   #4
Hog Buster

Just a wild guess, but it looks like you are trying to seat the bullet after the crimp is being applied. Maybe the die is seated too deep in the press.
Old December 5, 2010, 09:30 PM   #5
golfnutrlv

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. I'm thinking it's the chamfer step that I need to re-do. I didn't even think about it, but this is new brass, and I better go back through it all, and check it out.

I'm also going to field strip my sizer die and clean it out just in case.
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old December 5, 2010, 10:16 PM   #6
Hog Buster

Hey, if it’s new brass run it thru the sizer before loading. It will save you a world of grief.
Old December 5, 2010, 10:18 PM   #7
chiefr

IMHO, your case necks are too thick. I would try to ream out or outside neck turn to see if that fixes your problem.
Old December 5, 2010, 10:27 PM   #8
golfnutrlv

Alright, after a little experimentation, the problem seems to be resolved.

I selected a few cases to test from the batch, resized them again, just to be sure, trimmed them to length, not much change, but I did anyway, and then chamfer/debur.

So, just for test purposes, I seated a bullet without primer/powder, then pulled it, and there is no damage to the bullet's jacket. It appears that I have a pesky batch of brass that needs some kicking in the shins with the trimmer and ch/debur tool.

Thanks for the assistance everyone.
Old December 5, 2010, 10:28 PM   #9
Shoney

All the above comments have merit.

Also check the expander button on the decaping pin, it is designed to expand the sized neck to it's proper diameter. If you were not using the pin/button in the sizing step, that will also explain your problem.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 5, 2010, 10:48 PM   #10
snuffy

[QUOTE][/So, just for test purposes, I seated a bullet without primer/powder, then pulled it, and there is no damage to the bullet's jacket. It appears that I have a pesky batch of brass that needs some kicking in the shins with the trimmer and ch/debur tool.

Thanks for the assistance everyone.
QUOTE]

So, you didn't run those NEW cases over the expander before loading,(at least)? New brass is seldom "READY TO LOAD", right out of the box/bag. The mouths are never square and are very uneven. You get just what you got, skinned up bullets.

This comes up all the time here and on other forums. The question goes, "Do I need to resize my new brass"? I always say cointenley. Not only resize but also chamfer.

Glad we got this figured out, now go shootin!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 5, 2010, 11:54 PM   #11
golfnutrlv

I did run the brass through the sizer die when I got it. Primed it, and then left it for a few days, and came back to it today. Whatever the case, it did not cooperate.

Ok now, i hope. Thanks again!!!
Old December 6, 2010, 06:36 AM   #12
ejhc11

How about getting this?

A flaring die from Lee. Read below if this can help.

Review - not just for home cast bullets
http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ools/index.asp

From Lee
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...seExpandingDie