The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2014, 11:42 AM   #1
Sid

AutoComp powder

Does this powder have a fast burn rate? I seem to feel a sharper recoil when I use this in my hand loads. TIA
Old April 3, 2014, 11:58 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Here is Hodgdon's Burn Rate chart....

http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Burn rate isn't the primary (or even secondary) cause of recoil differences though.
Old April 3, 2014, 12:54 PM   #3
totaldla

Well Sid, I suppose it is pretty fast when you load it in your 308. On the other hand, it is fairly slow when used in the 45acp. Never hurts to add a little detail ya know, cause you get better answers.
Old April 3, 2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Sid

Okay, let me clarify the matter. I have severe arthritis in my wrists so I am very sensitive to recoil. It is another reason that I shoot a lot of .32 ACP. One of the pistols that I use frequently is a CZ 27. I feel sharp recoil and pain when shooting a hand load consisting of 3.0 grains of AutoCom with a 71 grain FMJ bullet. On the other hand, when shooting Fiocchi factory ammo there is no sharp recoil and no pain at all. I apologize if my previous post was misleading.
Old April 4, 2014, 10:08 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Understood. I would recommend look for data that uses the smallest powder charge and using the starting load or or work up until it will cycle the slide. It's entirely possible (quite likely) that faster powders will produce less recoil. The charges will be smaller and the muzzle pressure will be lower.
Old April 7, 2014, 07:23 PM   #6
jepp2

I use AutoComp in some loads. Based on what you want out of your loads, I would think AutoComp is one of the last powders you would pick. But it might be the only thing you have available. Have you looked at how Winchester advertises it?

Quote:
AUTOCOMP is extremely fine in the 38 Super, 9mm, 45 ACP and 40 S&W race guns. It’s just the perfect burning speed to feed the compensators with a higher volume of gas. With AUTOCOMP competitors get off faster shots with minimal muzzle flash, it’s a winner.
It is a powder that runs best near the upper pressure end.
Old April 7, 2014, 10:10 PM   #7
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
It is a powder that runs best near the upper pressure end.
It does have WSF qualities but burns cleaner when loaded up properly. Actually it burns real clean in 40's in the middle charge weight.

I agree just because you can load it doesn't mean it will act like a factory load in every caliber. But My 9mm's and 40's feel just like factory rounds.

As far as burn rate, faster burn rate generally translates into lower velocities and higher pressures than some of the slower burning powders. There are a couple of exceptions to this rule. Red Dot being one of them. Red Dot is a faster powder but produces higher velocities than most fast powders. Higher velocities translate to higher recoil.

IMO you could use a different powder. Clays might be your best bet if you can get it. Also your loading max charge. If you have little to no powder resources at the time (like most of us)Drop it down to start weight (2.7) and see if that helps first. Oh and is your OAL .978" range? You drop below that and the pressure will pick up very quickly in 32acp.