The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 17, 2007, 08:11 PM   #1
pdh

Rem 1100 Problems

My Rem 1100 is malfuctioning and I cannot figure it out....
What it is doing is.......the shells are coming out of the mag...carrier sending it up to get chambered...but when malfuctioning...the shell only chambers halfway....you have to bump the bolt into battery.......These are on low brass shells.......Low gas pressure?????????????????
Went over everything I know to do...The mag tube only had a very light coat of oil(just for rust preventative)...put in new o-ring. I did not clean out the gas ports though before this shooting outing.

My 1100 was bought in the early 80's. The shotgun could have then and will now pass the white glove test....I was shooting sporting clays and using low brass in remington and winchester shells. After the sporting clays we went after the pheasants and I was using high brass. Did not shoot that much then...four or five shells...did not malfuction then......Are they picky with low brass shells??????????????
Old December 17, 2007, 08:21 PM   #2
murphjup

Ok here's what I know about 1100's...

Gas ports, could need a cleaning...

Low Brass, could cause it, try different ammunition...

Make sure the piston and seal is installed correctly, and the O-ring is in good shape...

I even heard, by not holding the gun firm enough into your shoulder, could prevent the gun fron cycling properly... Kinda like "Limp Wristing" a pistol...

To be honest, it sounds like it needs a good cleaning and lube, if everything is in good working order...

Old December 17, 2007, 08:23 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

How about the action spring in the buttstock? It needs cleaning and lubing every once in a while also. Since the action closing depends a bit on the "bounce" of the bolt carrier, yes low power shells can cause a problem.

Jim
Old December 17, 2007, 08:50 PM   #4
pdh

Thanks guys for the help....gun is clean...I lube mag tube so very lighty..I piston/seal is installed correctly...o-ring is good shape...have not cleaned the gas port though...pipe cleaners good for this job??? Also have not done anything with the action spring in the butt stock.

I will put on my other barrel and see what happens.........
Old December 17, 2007, 10:47 PM   #5
Ledbetter

Haven't cleaned the whats!?!?!?

The gas ports make the thing run. Pipe cleaners will work fine. Get a manual from Remington if you don't have one. The factory O-rings are better than hardware store ones; get a few.

Mine runs on anything and I paid $200 for it at W* mart, new.

Regards,

Mike L.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old December 18, 2007, 07:05 AM   #6
Martyn4802

I use a correctly sized drill bit to clean the crud out of the gas hole.
Make sure that the chamber is absolutely clean as it tends to get a build up of crud on the chamber walls. A bronze bristle brush with 000 steel wool wrapped around it with a solvent on a short piece of aluminum cleaning rod, chucked up in a drill motor makes quick work of getting the chamber clean. I use only dry slide or equivalent on the action bar and the action cuts that it rides in as a lube, no liquid lube. As Jim said, you need to clean the action spring in the stock. Make absolutely sure the that the outside of the magazine tube that the piston rides on is perfectly clean. Here, I use 000 steel wool soaked with slovent to scub the crud off of it. I also only use dry slide or equivalent to lube the ouside of the tube. Liquid lube for any moving parts in an 1100 is asking for trouble as it mixes with the crud to gum up everything.

Martyn
Old December 18, 2007, 08:54 AM   #7
pdh

Thanks.....I will clean gas ports....and recoil spring....I just might go ahead and get a new recoil spring..........
Old December 23, 2007, 07:15 AM   #8
primerate2

Do What Matrtny Said

CLEAN THE CHAMBER JUST LIKE MARTNY DESCRIBED, i HAVE 5 OF THEN AND THE CHAMBER NEEDS CLEANING AND DONT USE OIL IN THE ACTION.

Old December 23, 2007, 11:11 AM   #9
prairieviper

I have shot Remington 1100s forever for Skeet, trap and sporting clays. Make sure that you have the piston and piston seal (those two silver colored rings) assembled correctly on the magazine tube and that they aren't interchanged or upside down or something. This is a common mistake.

I prefer a pipe cleaner and Gun Scrubber for cleaning the ports. Shoot your 1100 clean and dry as Remington recommends and you should never have a problem.