The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 11, 2005, 04:32 PM   #1
kkb

Barnes "Triple-Shock"...Worth it?

Starting to load .308 Win for a Browning 81 BLR pre "lightweight" (20" bbl/1:12 twist.) Aside from my usual Sierra and Hornady suspects are Triple-Shocks worth trying out?

Comments on terminal performance, accuracy, quirks and pet loads greatly appreciated.
Old April 11, 2005, 09:34 PM   #2
Mark whiz

I've had very nice results using the 168gr TSXs in my .308s (M1A & Win Model 100). I load them about .2 or .3gr hotter than my target loads with MatchKings and all is well. Very accurate, marvelous results on game, and no copper fouling.

They've become my hunting bullet of choice.
!
Old April 12, 2005, 01:22 PM   #3
kkb

Thanks for the note. I'll give 'em a try.
Old April 15, 2005, 12:05 PM   #4
rbernie

They are expensive, but they are also very accurate in every rifle that I've tried 'em in. I've not used them on game yet, so I can't tell you how well they expand/hold up/etc.

They do seem to 'pull' more easily from case necks than any other bullet I load, so I use the Lee Factory Crimp on any reloads that I make with the TSX's. Also, if you *do* use a crimp with them, you may have to fiddle around a bit to get a good seating depth *if* you try to use one of the grooves as a cannelure (as I do).
Old April 15, 2005, 04:37 PM   #5
j_mcdade

Barns Triple Shock...

I have heard, numerous times, that the Barnes Triple Shock is known for copper fouling a barrel in short order. I have also heard that butchers hate the Barnes bullets. Guess you will just have to try some!

Good Shooting,

Jim