The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 26, 2007, 10:10 PM   #26
Doug.38PR

I almost want to cry. I finally got the pins and sears and everything rearranged accordingly......the gun is put back together.....and now it...."sorta" works.
the action is clunky. There is a catch in the action slightly. Sometimes the cylinder turns, sometimes it doesn't in DA and SA
Old June 26, 2007, 10:30 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

Replacement sears are made a bit long so they can be fitted. It sounds like the sear is not snapping forward over the trigger and if it doesn't, you won't get the gun to fire DA. Release the hammer spring tension and remove the remove the sideplate. Then remove the hammer spring and work the action watching to see if that is the problem. You can stone the sear a bit until it works OK. But if I were you, I would just install the old sear rather than try to work on the new one.

Watch carefully how the sear moves out of engagement as the trigger picks up the hammer directly. That change of leverage is the secret of S&W's DA trigger pull.

Jim
Old June 26, 2007, 10:39 PM   #28
Doug.38PR

Quote:
But if I were you, I would just install the old sear rather than try to work on the new one.
That's what I did. And now the action works some of the time, other times the cylinder won't turn.

Whenever I put the gun upward, it certainly won't turn, whenever I point it straight down it will usually turn.
Sounds like the paw is falling backwards...but I don't understand what that has to do with the new hammer and/or sear.

I think tomorrow I'm taking it to a gun repair guy here in Marshall (he used to carry one of these things as a duty weapon)