The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2002, 10:49 PM   #1
blackheart

Mossberg 500/590

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Mossberg 500 and the 590?
Old August 28, 2002, 11:47 PM   #2
DML

The 500 has a magazine with a closed end. The barrel fastens to the end of the magazine tube with a thumb nut.

The 590 has an open ended magazine tube and the barrel is held in place with an end cap. The 20" barrel of the 590 usually has a bayonet lug. (Whoopie)

The receivers are pretty much the same.

There was a 500MIL or USA model that was actually a 590. It gets confusing sometimes.

There are numerous variations of both models. Various finishes and barrel lengths. Take a look at the Mossberg website for more info.
Old August 30, 2002, 11:41 AM   #3
nascarnhlnra

The 590 has an extended mag tube holds 8 + 1 in the chamber.The 590 also has a heat shield and comes in parkerized finish. The 590A1 or 1A can't remeber which it is has the heavier barrel and no heat shield and also has a metal trigger group.I have the 590 with the heatshield known as the security model it has the plastic trigger group. I love mine. I.M.O. ya can't go wrong with a Mossy or a Remmy.