The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Skunk Ape

168 gr. Hornady A-MAX for Deer?

I've loaded some 1/2 MOA rounds for my 30-06 using 168 gr. Hornady A-Max bullets. I recently saw a few posts that discouraged the use of A-MAX bullets on deer-sized game due to poor bullet performance on impact. I hate to discard an accurate load, but I don't want to shoot deer with an unsuitable bullet, either. Any insight on this? If the A-MAX is inappropriate, can anyone recommend a good substitute?

Thanks
Old November 18, 2010, 11:17 PM   #2
brmfan

Seems the AMAX's have issues when pushed too fast (I've read 2700 fps is the upper limit). It seems that the thin jacket and non bonded design at higher velocities cause the rounds to fragment before reaching any appreciable depth in deer sized animals. Plenty of folks have used it with success in .308's at lower velocities, so if you hand load I don't see where it wouldn't work. It's just that there are much better bullets out there, and as a hunter you have the responsibility to take the animal down as quickly and cleanly as possible. I'm using the 165 HPBT Gamekings this season because they have a proven track record, because I anticipate 200 yard+ shots, and because they are sub 1/2 MOA from my Remmy PSS.
Old November 18, 2010, 11:44 PM   #3
Rampant_Colt

Try using Hornady's InterLock, InterBond or SST as a substitute.
Nosler Partition or Ballistic Tip
Swift A-Frame & Scirocco
Barnes' Triple-Shock

Or any plain ol' W-W, R-P, Federal 150-180gr .308 dia SP bullet that suits your accuracy needs.

Why ruin your hunt by gambling with something as simple as using the appropriate bullet choice for the occasion. 1/2" MOA groups aren't necessary for hunting deer. Ever heard of "minute-of-whitetail" accuracy?
Old November 19, 2010, 12:56 AM   #4
hoghunting

Quote:
My suggestion also. I use Hornady InterBonds in most of my hunting loads, and many will give 0.5 MOA groups from my rifles.
Old November 19, 2010, 04:28 PM   #5
darkgael

A-Max

My understanding is that the A-max is a target bullet, not designed for hunting. Hornady makes a 165 grain BTSP that should work as well accuracy wise and is a hunting bullet. Similar BC and OAL. Load data is the same.
Pete
Old November 19, 2010, 04:49 PM   #6
jimbob86

What range are you hunting at?

1/2 MOA is nice, but unless you are doing some pretty long range shots, that kind of Benchrest level accuracy is not necessary. 2MOA error still puts a bullet in the kill zone out to 200 yards, IIRC.

"It is a rare marksman that can shoot up to his rifle, in field conditions, under time pressure." -Jeff Cooper

That said, the A-Max is a target bullet, with a thin, un-bonded jacket and soft lead core..... it might expand, or not....... it was designed to punch paper. Can you use it? Sure, and you could field dress your deer with a steak knife. You'd get a better result with tools designed for the job.........

Last edited by jimbob86; November 19, 2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old November 19, 2010, 05:25 PM   #7
BombthePeasants

In the Hornady 7th Ed. Reloading Manual, it lists this bullet as being suitable for everything (varmint, small game) up to and including medium game. It is the bullet I will be using when I go out next week. On a Texas whitetail, a .30cal A-Max should be plenty sufficient.
Old November 19, 2010, 05:58 PM   #8
Wireman134

Sierra Game King's in 165gr. are almost same as there 168gr. Match King. Inside 300yds. point of impact is the same.
Old November 19, 2010, 06:25 PM   #9
farmerboy

Contacted Hornady back about a year ago with this question for a friend who shoots a-maxs', Said not to and they were designed for targets but to use the SST's and that is my personal bullet of choice. Absolutetly love them (for targets or hunting) they are extremly accurate and devastating on game.... Agree also on Sierra's Game-kings. In SST's and game-kings I also use the 165's in 30-06 and 308's.
Old November 19, 2010, 09:57 PM   #10
GeauxTide

The AMAX is designed for paper. Don't risk a failure and a wounded or crippled animal. Use the 165 SST, Interbond, or Interlock because they are GAME bullets.
Old November 19, 2010, 10:02 PM   #11
GeauxTide

BombthePeasants is incorrect. This is from the note on the AMax 30-168 bullet on Hornady's web site.

Quote:
*Match bullets are not recommended for hunting medium & large game
Old November 20, 2010, 09:37 AM   #12
brmfan

"1/2 MOA is nice, but unless you are doing some pretty long range shots, that kind of Benchrest level accuracy is not necessary. 2MOA error still puts a bullet in the kill zone out to 200 yards, IIRC."

--- Not quite. Very often the only shot that's presented are head or neck. With an accurate rifle, solid platform like a shoot house or blind, and decent skill then you can save a lot of meat from going into the scrap bucket.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:15 PM   #13
LeeWilson

168 gr A-Max for hunting.

Last hunting season I loaded some 168 Hornady A-Max for my son in deer hunting. He uses a .308 mostly.

The first one he shot he called me and told me he shot the deer in the shoulder and he could put a basketball in the hole.

A week or so later he called again with the same results... lots of meat loss.

When he shot the third one he said he shot an inch or so behind the shoulder, it dropped in it's tracks and the hole was much smaller.

All three were one shot kills at about 100 yards.

I'll use them against men or deer.
Old April 3, 2013, 03:42 PM   #14
hooligan1

Skunkape,(I'm not trying to wrap my head around that one...) Use those bullets for practice, and use a suitable bullet for killing game... I would try to get a hunting bullet with a close coefficient, and see if your OCW makes the hunting bullet accurate in your rifle,.... Try Accubond from Nosler.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:11 AM   #15
trobin

Personally I'd use fmj ball ammo before the a-max for game.
Old April 4, 2013, 05:14 AM   #16
led0321

Re: 168 gr. Hornady A-MAX for Deer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampant_Colt View Post
Nosler Partition or Ballistic Tip
Swift A-Frame & Scirocco
Barnes' Triple-Shock

Or any plain ol' W-W, R-P, Federal 150-180gr .308 dia SP bullet that suits your accuracy needs.

Why ruin your hunt by gambling with something as simple as using the appropriate bullet choice for the occasion. 1/2" MOA groups aren't necessary for hunting deer. Ever heard of "minute-of-whitetail" accuracy?
This
Old April 4, 2013, 06:39 AM   #17
TimSr

Quote:
Last hunting season I loaded some 168 Hornady A-Max for my son in deer hunting. He uses a .308 mostly.

The first one he shot he called me and told me he shot the deer in the shoulder and he could put a basketball in the hole.

A week or so later he called again with the same results... lots of meat loss.

When he shot the third one he said he shot an inch or so behind the shoulder, it dropped in it's tracks and the hole was much smaller.

All three were one shot kills at about 100 yards.

I'll use them against men or deer.
Perfect example of what happens when you do not use a controlled expansion bullet made for hunting. You bullet basically explodes on impact. Great for personal defense manstopper, or shooting groundhogs. Very, very bad for hunting bigger critters that you would like to eat.

Match target bullets are not for hunting, (except non-edible varmints)and a very poor choice when so many great hunting bullets are available. Im partial to the Speer Grand Slam or Nosler partitions, but most anything out there is far superior to match bullets for hunting.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:52 AM   #18
reloader28

Funny, but I use SST's which are normally very much cut down on and critisized except in this thread. Go figure.

I do know a couple guys that use A-max on deer and elk and they do perform excellent for long range hunting. I have seen the results.

For 243, the 105gr A-max is said to be a heck of a deer performer.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:00 AM   #19
mxsailor803

I don't use anything but the Sierra Game King or Pro Hunter when loaded up for deer. And both have performed flawless for me. I don't currently have a -06 but I do have a .308, .270, and .243. I've killed numerous deer with all the cartridges using the Sierra's.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:36 PM   #20
Boomer58cal

Personally I'd go SST or Accu-Bond. On smaller deer the Accu-Bond expand a little faster and on larger deer or Elk the SST's penetrate deeper before expanding. Both are extremely accurate in all my guns. I've loaded them in 6.5 jap, 30-30, 7mm mag, .308 and 30-06.
Old April 6, 2013, 12:43 PM   #21
HiBC

Nosler makes both a 165 and 168 gr .308 ballistic tip.The 168 has a better BC.

I have found Ballistic tips group well.
Old March 20, 2016, 03:58 AM   #22
vts

Reviving an old thread.

Hornady Precision Hunter
http://www.hornady.com/store/30-06-S...cision-Hunter/

ELD-X bullet might be the answer...
http://www.hornady.com/store/ELD-X