The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 22, 2008, 01:01 AM   #1
Cerick

Turn a 17 rnd glock mag in to a 15 rnd?

I live in NJ and have a glock 17. I wish I could have more than a 10 rnd mag for my gun. Has anyone ever turned their 17 rnd glock mag in to a 15 rnd mag to comply with NJ laws?
Old August 22, 2008, 01:29 AM   #2
Jermtheory

i dont know how it would play with NJ law(15rd is legal?) but...

you could put some +4/+5 floorplates and +power springs on some ten round mags.

i have the Arredondo floorplates for the M&P-9.which add 6 rounds with standard spring,5 rounds with + power spring.

pretty sure there are similar items for the Glock.
Old August 22, 2008, 01:49 AM   #3
RockyMtnTactical

Best of luck to you.

Last edited by RockyMtnTactical; August 22, 2008 at 12:39 PM.
Old August 22, 2008, 01:54 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

One option (assuming 15 rounders are legal) is to have your grip shortened slightly and then use Glock 19 magazines in the pistol. You could probably do the shortening yourself if you proceeded very carefully with a sharp knife or perhaps a rough file.

You'd need a Glock 19 magazine, then you go slowly removing material from the grip until the magazine will just barely lock into place. Then clean up the edges so it looks nice.

It would probably be a good idea to check out a Glock 19 before doing the mod to make sure the grip length will not be too short for your comfort. If you're not comfortable doing the mod, I'm sure a company like Robar would do it for you.
Old August 22, 2008, 10:14 PM   #5
phildinnj

i think i saw something on the State Police web site just the other day stating that the modification to the magazine limiting capacity to 15 rounds must be *permanent* - i.e., not just spacers inserted at the bottom of the mag. you might check out the http://www.njsp.org/ website.
Old August 23, 2008, 02:59 AM   #6
Cerick

how do you think you could make the mods permanent?
Old August 23, 2008, 09:03 PM   #7
phildinnj

did you check to see if you can purchase a 15 round magazine for your pistol directly from Glock? that would be safest...

i think this is what i read, see excerpt below.
http://www.njsp.org/news/pdf/rp-061807-13_54.pdf

it was a proposed change to state laws back in 2007, no idea what current law says, but you might be able to look it up here:
http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_ag2.html

I recommend that you be sure about current state law before leaving your house with a modified high capacity (greater than 15 round) magazine in this state. i have an old 10 round magazine for a 15 round capable pistol that has a permanent metal stop formed within the magazine (not spacers at the bottom) limiting it to 10 rounds. i'd say that's permanent (but i'm no lawyer).

"A proposed amendment to the definition of "large capacity ammunition magazine" states that the term does not
include an ammunition magazine that has been permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 15
rounds of ammunition. The definition is further amended to state that an ammunition magazine, which has been
temporarily blocked from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood or a pin, will still be deemed a large
capacity ammunition magazine. The New Jersey Supreme Court has determined that in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-1f, the term
firearm was defined "not in terms of operability, but in terms of what the weapon was designed to do." See State v.
Gantt, 101 N.J. 573, 583 (1986). A device no longer retains the characteristics of a firearm when "it has undergone such
substantial alteration or mutilation that the instrument has completely and permanently lost the characteristics of a real
gun." Id. at 590"