The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 1, 2009, 03:47 PM   #1
old fart

barricade in a muzzleloader??

i just got thru cleaning my muzzleloader after sighting in 777 powder. i found a little rust in my gun nothing bad just light spot or two, i have used bore butter for years cause it was made for muzzleloaders. i have heard recently that its not the best for a muzzleloader and if not used just right it will cause rust to form. i went to my gun shop earlier and asked them, they said absolutely to not use any regular gun products in a muzzleloader. they said to use non pretroleum cleaning products, and bore butter or a natural rust preventive. i have used barricade for years in my other guns and none have any rust issues, will it be ok after cleaning my barrel to put barricade in it to prevent rust? thanks for any help.
Old November 1, 2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Pahoo

Absolutely !!!
I do this after a final cleaning. However, prior to any futue use, I swab it out with denatured alcohol to remove any residue of petrochemical products. Then I reapply some bore butter just to reinforce my seasoning. Basically I do not "Fire-Up" anything in my bores that is not natural. Whenever I use the bore butter in this manner, I use it sparingly. Bore butter is great for some things but not as protection against rust.

Be Safe !!!
Old November 1, 2009, 06:42 PM   #3
mykeal

Barricade has had excellent reviews as a rust preventative in black powder guns.