The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 7, 2012, 09:23 PM   #1
Goshinki

CCW????

I know there are afew sites that deal with and help you get multi state ccw license but I cant remember any of them and not sure i want to do a search with my luck i would find the one scam site and yeah
Old June 7, 2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I don't think there is any web site that can help you obtain a CCW license/permit. And, technically, there isn't any "multi-state" license or permit, but there are some states that are widely accepted by other states under reciprocity agreements. The best (last time I checked) seemed to be Florida and Utah, each of which is accepted in a bit more than 30 other states.

You can get accurate information about each state's laws and the application process at www.handgunlaw.us
Old June 7, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
robmkivseries70

http://www.usacarry.com/
Old June 7, 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Doyle

As stated before - no such animal as a mult-state license. You get a license for your home state that has reciprocity with certain other states. A few states allow non-resident licences (Fl is one).
Old June 7, 2012, 11:04 PM   #5
guardjim

Get your license from the state you live in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are a few states that issue to out of state residents but do not recognise their own license within their state unless you are a resident of that state.
Old June 8, 2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Blackshirts

The Arizona permit is currently valid is 36 other states and can be obtained by non residents. I just took the 1 hour classroom only class yesterday($48, mail in $60 for the 5 year permit). The guy also does a 30 minute conference call($40 and you follow along with an online powerpoint) that gets you the permit. A lot of out of staters take that "class" apparently. There are some states that recognize the permit, but require you to be a resident. If you are a resident of that state then the Arizona one will be the same as getting it at home.
Check it out. http://ccwazschool.com/index.php
Old June 9, 2012, 06:23 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

www.handgunlaw.us is a good resource for basic info by state.
Old June 9, 2012, 06:45 AM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardjim
Get your license from the state you live in. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think there are a few states that issue to out of state residents but do not recognise their own license within their state unless you are a resident of that state.
I've never heard of that. There are quite a few states that recognize other states permits but only for residents of the other state.

For example (example only!), as a New Yorker, I can get a Florida permit which is recognized in PA for Florida residents only. So, I can carry in FL, but not PA because I'm not a resident.

I don't know why any state would issue permits just so a nonresident could carry in other states but not the issuing state. What would be the benefit for the state?
Old June 9, 2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Blackshirts

If that were the case I think the recipricocity would not exist between said states so you wouldn't have to worry about trying to get the license. That essentially would be (continuing the example) FL governing NYs licenses. If it is a FL permit valid in NY but not FL essentially making it a "pay our state instead for your NY license" NY will retract recipricocity. That would be purely FL taking money out of NYs revenue and issuing NY licenses. No state would stand for that.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:34 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts
If that were the case I think the recipricocity would not exist between said states so you wouldn't have to worry about trying to get the license. That essentially would be (continuing the example) FL governing NYs licenses. If it is a FL permit valid in NY but not FL essentially making it a "pay our state instead for your NY license" NY will retract recipricocity. That would be purely FL taking money out of NYs revenue and issuing NY licenses. No state would stand for that.
???

What you wrote above makes no sense at all, and your suggestion a couple of posts earlier that some states will issue to non-residents but don't allow non-residents to carry on that permit in the issuing state is just plain wrong. The whole point of issuing a non-resident license or permit is to allow non-residents to carry in the issuing state. Any expanded reciprocity or recognition of that license or permit by other states is entirely accidental and incidental to whatever reciprocity agreements or laws exist affecting the various states involved.

To prove your point, name ONE state that issues to non-residents but does NOT allow the non-resident to carry in that state on that permit. Cite where that state's law spells that out.
Old June 11, 2012, 04:46 PM   #11
rickyrick

Reciprocity laws seem to have come a long way but I don't think there is a multiple state permit unless you're a federal Leo or something.

In Texas it's a simple process. Basically if you can legally own a handgun you can get a license. A few additional rules apply like no dead beat dads ect. Being able to decipher some simple but vague instructions helps. Enough disposable income to pay for the classes, firearm, fingerprints and license fees is needed too. The funny thing is, law enforcement professionals I've spoken with know very little about chl laws and stuff, instructors ain't much help and the info they have is usually out dated. The best thing to do is to pay attention each new legislative session for the new laws. The standing laws can be found easily online.

There are many myths, misconceptions, half truths and misinformation out there. This information is easy enough to find, but you have to dig some.

The statutes on arming yourself spans several codes. Penal codes for one example and goes as far as the labor codes.

Hand gun laws are updated on a regular basis now; and most are focused on restoring our rights after years of knee-jerk legislation.

It's your right and it's your responsibility to study the rules. Not a cops, not an instructor and definitely not a guy online.....
Old June 11, 2012, 06:29 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick
It's your right and it's your responsibility to study the rules. Not a cops, not an instructor and definitely not a guy online.....
Whoa, Pardner ...

I agree that it is the responsibility of any CCW permit/license holder to know the laws under which he carries, but those laws are enforced by the police. It most assuredly IS a police officer's responsibility to know what the law requires, allows, and prohibits. If he doesn't know that, how can he (or she) enforce the laws?
Old June 11, 2012, 06:42 PM   #13
rickyrick

Ask an officer a ccw question. Most likely he will refer you to a ccw holder or instructor. Most only know basic rules. I even found a DPS officer that was ignorant of some of the rules, he stated many laws aren't disseminated to officers. Basically if you have a card and youre not committing a crime it's all good in their eyes. Most officers want armed, responsible citizens. But, you may get cited and it's your responsibility to clear it in court.
Old June 11, 2012, 07:23 PM   #14
oneounceload

People seem to think that cops are responsible for protecting and also knowing the law - neither is the case, nor their responsibility - they are to contain an incident, gather evidence and handle the issue afterwards
Old June 11, 2012, 07:28 PM   #15
rickyrick

^^^thats what I was trying to say^^^^
Old June 11, 2012, 07:38 PM   #16
Glenn Dee

The police are absoloutly responsible for knowledge of criminal law. And probably traffic law, local statutes. In fact any law that Officer is responsible to investigate and present evidence.
Pertaining to criminal law a Police Officers resonsibility is to.
1) determine if a crime has been commited.
2) bring the person or corperation responsible for that crime before justice.
3) provide evidence that will tend to convict or tend to exculpate that subject in a court of law.

Thats it.
Old June 11, 2012, 10:58 PM   #17
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Has anyone else noticed that the OP hasn't been back to this discussion since three hours after the opening post? We're beating ourselves over the head for a phantom questioner.
Old June 12, 2012, 08:26 AM   #18
Flopsweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts
The Arizona permit is currently valid is 36 other states and can be obtained by non residents. I just took the 1 hour classroom only class yesterday($48, mail in $60 for the 5 year permit). The guy also does a 30 minute conference call($40 and you follow along with an online powerpoint) that gets you the permit. A lot of out of staters take that "class" apparently. There are some states that recognize the permit, but require you to be a resident. If you are a resident of that state then the Arizona one will be the same as getting it at home.
Check it out. http://ccwazschool.com/index.php
I checked out that site, and read the AZ laws on the permit and how to apply for it:

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....13&DocType=ARS

As I understand it, I just need to request an application form from the department, fill it out, add my fingerprints to the supplied form, provide proof that I've taken a qualifying course (almost any NRA course will do) and mail it back to them with a check. What purpose does the 30 minute conference call serve?
Old June 12, 2012, 03:56 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Good grief!

I just followed the link to that AZ school. Aside from the fact that whoever put together the web site is functionally illiterate, the statement that he provides "quality" training does not square with offering a 30-minute telephone "course" that he claims will satisfy the legal requirement to get the permit.

I would avoid that course and that instructor like the Bubonic plague.
Old June 13, 2012, 04:55 AM   #20
rickyrick

I wish I had went the Arizona route lol. Would have saved me some money.

Most people would be happy if the instructor just took the money and signed the paper, they don't care about quality training. It's merely costing money and time to get a right, that our forefathers already gave us.

Most chl instructors I know, don't need a website, it's know a guy who knows a guy that does it in a rented room for the weekend and go shoot at somebody's farm
Old June 14, 2012, 12:09 PM   #21
Gary Slider

Many states honor other states permit/licenses. There are some quirks in reciprocity or how a state may honor another state. If you go to http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and click on "Create License Map" in the left column a page will come up explaining those quirks in how states honor others.

There are 6 states that honor some or all other states permit/licenses but they will not honor any non residents permits. So you have to be a resident of the state they honor or the permit/license is not valid. Go to the link above if you want to see those quirks in how states honor each other. If you have a question about that click on "Contact Us" at the bottom of that page you go to and ask me your question. Do give me time to get back to you as I have a life that takes me away from my computer for hours if not a day or two at a time. A PM here can take me longer to answer.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old June 16, 2012, 07:13 PM   #22
beachprices

I'm in Virginia, and I could take an online course that would meet the Virginia requirements to apply for a CCW permit.

http://www.concealed-carry.net/
Old June 16, 2012, 10:18 PM   #23
informative

No such animal

I agree I've never heard of such an animal as multi-state CCW. Many states that have CHL like Texas have agreements with MANY MANY other states for reciprocal. unfortunately it is a hodgepodge of who allows it elsewhere - as an example Colorado and Arizona no problem full reciprocal but New Mexico CHL owners may carry in Texas but the right is not reciprocal Texas CHL owners may not carry in NM. It is a relative measure of the "liberal" status of the state in question. So long as those states know - I will carry everywhere I travel so all they accomplish is preventing me from stopping to SPEND MY CASH in their state or possibly defend their citizens from harm. Sounds like a lose lose for them.