The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 8, 2010, 05:23 PM   #1
grass range

Savage bolt disassembly

I have a newer Savage in the shop ( bolt only) with a stuck ejector. This one does not have a screw slot or a Allen wrench slot. Anyone tell me how to get this apart so I can replace the ejector. Savage wil give out no info. Thanks
Old February 8, 2010, 11:55 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It has been a while but I think the ejector is a plunger type like that on the Remington 700. It is held in by a small cross pin through the locking lugs and I don't think you need to take the bolt apart to get at it.

Jim
Old February 9, 2010, 12:30 PM   #3
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
if its the right bolt type

Some of the ejectors were held in place by a detent ball.
There is a hole on top of ejector, the detent hold it place.
Press the detent down and slide the ejector off the bolt.
don’t loose the detent ball.
if you do I think its a .065
Old February 10, 2010, 10:04 PM   #4
Uncle H

Got this from a forum a while back:

Using a 1/4" allen wrench, unscrew the back of the bolt all the way out. Take the handle off. If you're the belt and suspenders type, mark the handle and bolt with a Sharpie to make it easier to put back together. The large black round black thing sticking out of the side of the bolt is the cocking piece pin. It's kept in place by the cocking piece sleeve under it. The sleeve has a slot in it and at the front of that slot is a round hole that let's you take the pin out. Slide the sleeve to the rear of the bolt with your right index finger and wiggle the pin with your left hand when the sleeve is as far back as it goes. The pin will come out easily when you get to the hole.

Once the pin is out, the sleeve and firing pin/spring just slide out the back.

To re-assemble, just reverse the steps. The only thing vaguely tricky about putting it back together is getting the hole in the sleeve lined up with the hole in the firing pin. Just use a dull pencil to get them aligned.

The bolt handle looks like it would go on four different ways. Two are obviously wrong (the flat part of the handle is toward the front of the bolt). The other wrong way isn't quite so obvious. For a right handled bolt you want the Savage logo at twelve oclock and the handle at about three o'clock... maybe 3:30 or quarter of four. If you had used the Sharpie this wouldn't be a problem.

Before you screw the whole shebang back together, make sure the cocking piece pin is in the cocked position (sitting the little notch in the rear of the sleeve or as clockwise as it will go when looking at it from the rear). If you don't the bolt won't go in the receiver since the pin goes in the same groove as the lug. When you screw it all back together with your fingers it will go so far and then seem to stop. It's just the firing pin spring getting compressed and should turn pretty easily with the allen wrench. It shouldn't get really hard to turn until the handle is firmly tightened to the bolt, at which point you're done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BoltParts2-1-Savage.jpg (31.8 KB, 120 views)
Old February 11, 2010, 11:03 AM   #5
grass range

Savage bolt

I have used the Allen wrench on others but this one has had some modifications somewhere. The Allen wrench cuts have been drilled out and a plunger system installed. Very strange. Anyway it is now fixed. Thanks