The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 24, 2014, 05:43 AM   #1
NHSHOOTER

electronic muffs

Anyone ever try those electronic shooting muffs that help you hear better in the woods and muffle muzzleblast? My hearing isnt the best and cant always hear deer walking up behind my tree stand, do these gizmo's really work?
Old January 24, 2014, 07:19 AM   #2
Double Naught Spy

Absolutely, but not so much if you buy the $20-30 variety. Buy some by a quality manufacturer such as Peltor, Howard Leight, Walker, etc. As a minimum, you will spend a bit more and potentially a lot more if you get the high end versions.

The downsides to using electronic muffs are numerous, however. On a windy day, wind noise is amplified very loud. Small sounds can sound like you are being approached by an unseen several hundred pound monster until you realize that it is the muffs making the noise of a small critter sound really huge. Distant sounds will see much more close and give you a false sense of proximity. Plus, the muffs (versus the plugs) can be warm and potentially uncomfortable in warm weather (though this doesn't bother me as I wearing shooting muffs for shooting in any weather).

Finally, because of the auditory cutoff and turn-on that occurs with the shot, you can experience a radical amount of sound change that will obscure the sound of the impact on the animal.

The advantages are that you can often hear more. Your hearing is protected during firing, whether it be your gun or your buddy's. The muffs can keep your ears warm in the winter and keep bugs out of your ears in the summer.
Old January 24, 2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Auto5

Maybe if you get a quality pair. I bought a cheap pair from Menard's. If I turn the volume up, I get static. If I lower the volume until it is static free, I don't notice any increase in hearing.
Old January 24, 2014, 07:55 AM   #4
Jim243

They work very well. While the better pairs have two mics on them, they are not as directional as your own ears, you might turn your head too fast while wearing them to see where the sound is coming from, move slowly but do use them they will help a lot. Some of the expensive ones have four mics on them. Here is an example that is not all that expensive.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Walke...h-All+Products

Jim

Same ones at a better price

http://www.opticsplanet.com/walkers-...-nxt-camo.html

Last edited by Jim243; January 24, 2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old January 24, 2014, 08:25 AM   #5
wogpotter

I have a set of the Peltors & I like them.
They aren't perfect, changing batteries is a huge pain but its worth it as you don't change them often.

There are 2 types of unit, the less expensive just shuts down completely, just like regular muffs when its sound sensing gets a sound above the preset cutoff point.

The better (yeah, more expensive too) reduces the levels to below the cutoff, but doesn't muffle them.

They are quite directional so if you're looking forward they're less sensitive to the sides & rear, but still better than non electronic muffs. You can adjust the sensitivity with the Peltors so they "feel natural", deaden sound a bit, or amplify. I bought the slimline thinking they'd have less chance of contacting the stock, but it doesn't work that way they still contact the stock plus the foam actually contacts the ear making them a little uncomfortable. Go for full sized if you go that way.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 24, 2014, 04:25 PM   #6
NHSHOOTER

Jim243 The pair you posted are the same ones that got me interested, they had some in the bargain cave. This past season I was hunting and a 4 pointer came by between my friend and I and he said he could hear it grunting, I never could and being 57 and around construction equipment and guns my whole life I do have a fair amount of hearing loss. I will give a pair of those a try for the upcoming season, thanks again everyone for the feedback, I can always count on TFL for answers.