The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 9, 2001, 01:04 PM   #1
BigG

Nmlra

What can you tell me about the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association? I got a flyer in a recent Brown Bess purchase.

Are there any benefits to a casual shooter. I don't fancy myself wearing buckskins, military garb, or a coonskin cap any time soon.

How is their publication? Is is monthly, quarterly, in color? In short, give me the skinny!

Thanks,

George
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old July 9, 2001, 07:06 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you never been to Friendship, IN during the National Match, you have got to at least once in your life. Friendship is the HQ of the NMLRA and they maintain a huge range: The Walter Cline range. Blackpowder shooters tend to be the most fun loving and friendly of any group of shooters I have met. Imagine meeting them by the hundreds along with all the sutlers.

They also host an annual gun building workshop in Bowling Green, KY. This year was my first time and I had a blast. Met some of the most prominent rifle builders in this country including Wallace Gustler, Hershel & John House, Ron Ehlert, Gary Brumfield, Mark Silver, Jim Chambers, Jack Brooks, etc. All nice fellows and more than happy to share knowledge, experience and insights. All of them are very active in the NMLRA.

The official publication of the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association is its monthly magazine, Muzzle Blasts. A typical issue will include articles on wilderness trekking, recipes (for the 17-18th century palate), backwoods trips by contemporary long hunters (including John Curry), a technical and historical answer column, noted writer and publisher George Shumway's monthly feature: Longrifles of Note where Shumway has a photographic presentation of an antique long gun - Muzzle Blasts' "centerfold" feature, how to articles on long rifle construction, historical articles, articles on contemporary subjects (repro locks, barrel mfg, wood work, etc.) and finally, historical articles (loved the one on Capt. Baker of VT). Oh, only the cover is color and the rest of the photos are b/w. This month's cover is entitled, "Tender Fortress" and features a 17-18th cent. expectant mother standing in a forest clearing, her little daughter clinging to her side. Naturally, the mother carries a rifle and appears very much at ease with it as she gazes into the distant woods. You'd think the artist, Lee Teter, learned alongside our own Oleg Volk.

Do I enjoy it? Of the magazines I subscribe to right now, it's the one I look forward to the most.

BTW, I don't have buckskins but plan to make some soon. The more I get into this stuff, the more I love it. And Daniel Boone never wore a coonskin cap either. That's Disney stuff and real frontiersmen considered such rude headgear the mark of the uncivilized Indian. Boone, like his contemporaries, wore felt hats. Now, the Fur Trade era trappers thought differently and adopted many Indian ways.
Old July 9, 2001, 10:44 PM   #3
BigG

Thanks, Gary.

A small note about Dan'l Boon: I saw a recent History Channel special about D. Boon and D. Crockett. One of the vignettes showed the actor (in a felt hat, of course) fire off a shot and immediately reprime his piece straight from the horn and go back to the ready

Now, I consider the felt hat thing (which they stressed) a valuable piece of info, however, not outweighing the obvious mistake in loading a flintlock, not to mention the extreme danger. Don't do this at home, kids!

Other than a big safety boner like that, I enjoy the history channel more than any other channel except AMC.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old April 15, 2002, 04:52 PM   #4
Sixgun_Symphony

The NMLRA is a great pro-second amendment organization. They are also very informative about ML firearms and history.

I hope others here on TFL will join the NMLRA!

NMLRA
Old April 15, 2002, 07:48 PM   #5
mcneill

I'm a casual black powder shooter and have been a member of NMLRA for several years. I really enjoy the magazine - it is both entertaining and educational. I donate the copies to our public library when I'm finished with them.

Jim

"His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and he wanted to be a mountain man. ... He was looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better. He settled for a .30, but d*** it was a genuine Hawken. You couldn't go no better."