The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 13, 2001, 04:04 PM   #1
Ned Roundtree

This was one of the discussions at the Tg Summit in Las Vegas. Many indicate at their monthly matches that most folks shoot in the Traditional Class. Only a few shoot Modern or so was the stated concern. Two proposal were made but shot down. One proposal would change class to be defined by age categories. The other proposal would define class by caliber. Another words. Traditional Class would be defined as 44 caliber and above. Modern Class would be defined as .32 to 38 caliber. In both cases the proposals were shot down. Comments or thoughts?
Old January 13, 2001, 07:44 PM   #2
bedlamite

I got into Cowboy Action Shooting last summer. I shoot in modern class, due to my pair of SuperBlackhawks. It was fun when we actually got around to shooting, I almost joined SASS, and I would really like to continue CAS, but I will probably find something else to do this year. Why? The constant bickering about rules. I thought CAS was supposed to be about having fun, this seems to have been forgotten. I've been to several clubs to see try and find one where it is fun, no luck. Spending more time having the RO answering questions about rules and how people can get around them than shooting is not fun. I've talked to several people who thought CAS sounded like a lot of fun until I actually brought them to a match. You don't suppose this is why modern class is dying?

Old January 13, 2001, 08:57 PM   #3
Chris Bowie

Modern Class and all that bickering !!

g'day there Ned and Bedlamite !!
Thought you might like an Aussie perspective.... To my left as I sit at the old coal fired computer are all the nomination forms for our next major interclub shoot here in South Australia. Interestingly about 40 % are Modern, about the same are Traditional and the rest make up the other 20 %
Two years ago Modern would have been lucky to make up 20 % of the nominations..... seems like it changes over time... back and forth as the population of shooters change. in this country Cowboy Action picks up most of its membership from other disciplines who are looking for a change..... lots have modern guns already so that proves to be their first category. i'm a modern Shooter myself.... shoot a pair of 11" Super Blackhawks....Yeeee Haaaa though i occasionally pull out my "snubbies" (my 7 1/2 " Supers) for a bit of fun!!!!
re. all the bickering..... its a damn shame to see that happen..... we had similar for a while 7 or 8 years ago. The clubs here got together and decided to implement a single day....but very intensive Range Officer course.... AND THEN TO PUSH IT!!! We have about 120 shooting cowboy action in the state and about 100 have done the R.O. course... many will never lead a posse but were encouraged to do it so they had a better appreciation of the rules and the "feel" of CAS matches. Since this training all of what we call the "bush lawyers" who want to argue everything...... have vanished.
Good shooting !!
Chris Bowie Kenton Valley Cowboys
SASS # 3487 South Australia
PS as I type this its 110 degrees,,,,, enough to melt the barrel off a colt!!!!
Old January 15, 2001, 11:34 PM   #4
Ned Roundtree

Thanks Chris, glad to see someone is enforcing the cowboy spirit. We also are starting to train folks in the SASS RO-I course. And glad to hear Modern Clas is doing so well there. Most clubs here are friendly laid back places to shot at. Oh yeah, a few folks are trying to keep an IPSC atmosphere going. But the vast majority enjoy the costuming and just shoot for the fun. Sure I try to shoot well, accurate and as fast as I can. But most of us here don't try to split hairs. We are having lots of fun. Sorry bedlamite, your experience with cas has not been good. That is most unusual
Old January 16, 2001, 08:39 AM   #5
dreadnaught

Dying? Not at the Pungo posse in Virginia. All the Big Dogs shoot Modern.
Old January 17, 2001, 09:10 AM   #6
Ned Roundtree

Thanks dreadnaught. No one spoke up for modern class in Las Vegas. Most just didn't want to change the classes.
Old April 15, 2002, 04:23 PM   #7
Sixgun_Symphony

Modern Class is necessary for beginners. Once they get used to the old style guns, they will graduate up to Traditional class.
Old April 16, 2002, 06:46 PM   #8
Nanaimo Barr

looks like someone wants me to spend the money on 4 new revolvers. thats what? $1600 for new pistols (4 X $400.00 Rugers) for me and my better half?

I thought CAS was supposed to be inexspenisve...
Old April 16, 2002, 10:21 PM   #9
Salt

You can save some money by going with cap-n-ball revolvers instead of the cartridge guns.