The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2009, 12:01 PM   #1
jmorris

So you say you don't load steel cases.

I guess you learn something new every day. Loading up some ammo for next weekend I decided to use up an old bag of 9mm that had wolf steel cases mixed in. I figured a quick pass with a magnet would suck up the wolf and leave the brass behind.

I was a little surprised to see brass cases stuck to the magnet too. Upon further inspection I noticed that the only “brass” cases on the magnet were S&B. A quick pass on the disk sander and the sparks showed that they were just brass plated steel. FWIW I also tested 40 & 45 S&B and they are not plated steel like the 9mm.
Old November 2, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2
Christchild

Speaking of S&B....

I went to the Range yesterday for a bit of Load Development. While I was there I picked up quite a few cases. Some .243 Win., some .270 Win. (and 1 30/06) and 45/70 Gov. Out of the 11 pieces of Near-New .270 Win., 2 were S&B.

Short trip (about 1/2 an hour) through the Tumbler, then wiped as they came out, time to Full Length size the .270. All pieces went thru the FL die, other than the S&B. I even resized the 30/06 down to .270 Win. With this S&B CRAP, last night was the first time that Not Only did I break 2 Decapping Pins, I BENT the Threaded end of the Zip Spindle that the Expander Ball/Plug threads onto, by probably 15 degrees or so.

I was able to get everything back straight, and finished the small job, but since You've posted this Thread, JMorris, I'm now thinking I may have stumbled upon some of S&B's steel crap. They were brass on the outside!!!
Old November 2, 2009, 01:36 PM   #3
mtnbkr

Did you check to see if the S&B was boxer or berdan primed?

Chris
Old November 2, 2009, 01:42 PM   #4
Crosshair

I load the Wolf 45 auto steel cases as they are Boxer primed. They only last 2-3 loadings before splitting at the case mouth, but they were free and they work so why not.
Old November 2, 2009, 01:55 PM   #5
jmorris

Quote:
Did you check to see if the S&B was boxer or berdan primed?
Boxer
Old November 2, 2009, 02:03 PM   #6
mtnbkr

I was referring to Christchild, who was bending decapping pins with the S&B brass. I suspect it was berdan primed. It may be crimped, but more likely is Berdan due to it's Euro sourcing.

Chris
Old November 2, 2009, 02:11 PM   #7
Claude Clay

S&B 9mm recently may/must of changed cause i also have taken to culling them.
its a dillon SDB and they do not size or deprime easy and they are tight to take a new primer.

S&B i have prior to last winter are fine.
Old November 2, 2009, 05:05 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Quote:
S&B i have prior to last winter are fine.
Same here.

The really old stuff is great.

The newer (1-3 years old) stuff ranges from acceptable to marginal.

The brand new stuff seems to be trash.
Old November 2, 2009, 11:08 PM   #9
Crankylove

Quote:
The brand new stuff seems to be trash.
What he said ^

New newer S&B brass I have picked up, for both rifle and pistol calibers, has been total crap. Crooked case mouths, oversize primer pockets, case heads with only 1/2 the rim (not broken off, just not there), .357 brass with rims so thick it jams the cylinder, brass cracking on the first sizing, LOTS of off-center flash holes, etc...........it all goes in the scrap bucket now, I don't even try and reload it, just a waste of time.
Old November 2, 2009, 11:22 PM   #10
plainsman456

I have reloaded some WWII 45acp cases,just to see if it could be done.It takes a lot more effort to re-size than brass,but they worked.I would not do it again though.Good Luck