The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 31, 2009, 06:25 PM   #1
StiveC2007

Just bought Reloading setup

I just purchased the Lee Single stage reloading kit that Midwayusa had for 80.99$. 25 bucks cheaper than cabelas. So what brand dies should i pick up? right now im only gonna be reloading .30-06 maybe .270 or .300wsm (depends of if my dad trades in his rifle or not) and maybe 9mm (I know its gonna suck to do it on a single stage). But ive been hearing people talk about carbide dies instead of steel ones? And at the advice of the people on this forum I also got the ABC's of reloading off ebay for 5$. Also what is the best reloading manuel? thanks for any information its truly appreciated
Old October 31, 2009, 06:35 PM   #2
reloader28

You can only get carbides in straight walled cases (pistols). Maybe 45/70, I dont know cause I dont load that so for bottle neck cases you need the normal steel dies. As far as a manual I prefer Hornady and Sierra but have several different ones. Get at least 2... and 5 or 6 if possible. Its nice for comparing loads.
Old October 31, 2009, 06:54 PM   #3
craig2724

I use the Lee Carbide dies for all pistol reloading. Whatever dies you get make sure that you have bought the Lee Breech Lock Quick change bushing. You can use whatever dies you like in the Lee press but you have to have the bushings.
Old October 31, 2009, 08:31 PM   #4
BigJakeJ1s

You can keep the same breech-lock bushing locked in the press, and just thread your dies in and out, if you're on a tight budget.

Other than Lee collet neck sizing dies and collet type factory crimp dies for rifle and bottleneck pistol cartridges, I have not had good luck with Lee dies. I like Hornady dies on a budget, Forster dies or Redding competition dies for more $$.

Hornady uses titanium nitride (TiN) instead of carbide in their pistol dies, and it works very well. Forster does not make pistol dies, and Redding uses titanium carbide in their pistol dies. Carbide or TiN eliminates the need to lubricate the case for sizing. All three make steel rifle dies that require lubrication for the sizing operation. Dillon makes carbide rifle sizing dies for a couple of cartridges, but that is for longevity in commercial reloading operations, since the cases still have to be lubed for sizing.

Lyman has an excellent reloading manual that covers a wide range of different brands of powder and bullets. Lee has a good manual too, but all of the load recipes are from publicly available sources, so while it is a good (if not also biased) introduction on how to use their equipment, it's value for load data is much less. The powder vendors have load data using their powders available on the web. Nosler has some data for their bullets on their website too, but in general, if you have selected a brand of bullets, the most extensive source of reloading info using that bullet will be from the bullet manufacturer's reloading manual (i.e. Hornady, Speer, Nosler, etc.)

Andy
Old October 31, 2009, 08:46 PM   #5
Shoney

StiveC2007
There is nothing wrong with loading on a single stage. I loaded on one for over 30 years before I got a 550 progressive. The progressive was used exclusively for pistol reloading.

Then about 8 years later I got the LNL AP and loaded only pistol on that for a few years, until I did testing of runouts on all my presses, and the LNL was measureably better in producing concentricity over the other pressed.

Your goal should be quality ammo (slow and steady wins the race), and not take quantity of ammo into account unless you get into competetive shooting as I and my family did.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111