The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 7, 2002, 10:20 PM   #1
Courier

Any Northern VA clubs?

I've been reading alot about the Cowboy shooting clubs and competitions. It seems like it would be alot of fun, does anybody know of any groups or competitions in the Northern Virginia area. I know that they practice realism in their weapons and clothing from the period, but is there any group or competition where you could use a double action 44 mag. Ruger ? Money is a little tight ( now and always ), so I would like to get into this gradually, without having to pick up a new weapon right away to start But if I do need one immediately, any recommendations on the length of the barrel and make and model. Thanks.
Old April 8, 2002, 12:57 AM   #2
Aion

I'm in somewhat the same boat: growing interest in CAS, residing in NoVA, etc...

Just got my SASS membership packet in yesterday's mail. I have a Ruger Vaquero on hold (waiting for my 30 days to pass from my last handgun purchase) in .45LC.

I find that most CAS competitions require you to have two pistols, a long gun in a pistol caliber (I understand many will get theirs in the same caliber as their pistols, to make things easier), and a shotgun. All must be "period," that is, late-19th-century in style. For more on that, see the SASS website (below). I also understand that there is a local group (Fairfax?) that shoots at the NRA range 1st Tuesday of each month. My thinking is that after I pick up my 45, I'll take it to the range and start practicing, at the same time dropping in on their shoots to get acquainted.

I found the following links, which you may find useful:

- http://www.sassnet.com/
- http://www.sassnet.com/pages/Clubs/Virginia.html
- http://members.aol.com/marshalldave/index.htm

Hope this helps. Looking forward to other replies to this thread, as well...

- Aion
Old April 8, 2002, 09:01 AM   #3
Courier

Thanks Aion

Thanks for the info and links, that works out good. I live in Fairfax City and just joined the NRA down at the headquarters and I haven't even been to the range there yet. That works out real convenient with the monthly meetings.
Old April 9, 2002, 04:05 PM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Aion - would you like for me to bring my Vaquero in .45 Colt to the range meet this Saturday? I'd be happy to bring it if you want to get in some early practice. And it'll give you a chance to see if you want to perform the "poor man's" trigger job on yours when you get it.
Old April 9, 2002, 10:47 PM   #5
Aion

Mal:

That would be great! No pressure or anything, though...

"Poor Man's Trigger Job" -- sorry, that went right over my head. (FWIW, the one I'm buying has had Wolff springs put in... but somehow I don't think that's what you're talking about.)

- Aion
Old April 9, 2002, 11:40 PM   #6
Mal H
Staff

Done. Bring ammo if you wish, but you won't need to, I'll have plenty.

Here is a link to Jim March's thread where I learned about the trigger job: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=80872