The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 16, 2002, 07:58 PM   #1
Rosedog

Winchester Model 97' shotgun

The Model 97' is a great old gun! I understand that with the growth of Cowboy Action Shooting that the 97's value has increased.

Blue Book on a 12 ga. 80% gun is quoted at $450, and 90% brings $500. I don't know if these are valid numbers in light of increased interest in the Model 97 due to CAS.

Does anybody have a fair guess as to current value on a 80% or 90% gun?

Just for info: Winchester M97's were made from 1897 until 1955
Old February 16, 2002, 09:56 PM   #2
Ranger Grant

Can't give you any info on current fair value, but I can tell you that when you can find a W'97 at a gun show (SF Cow Palace in my area) the "Dealers" want way more than I would pay.

IIRC, Norinco(?) is importing a copy of the W'97. I briefly looked at one. It was retailing for around $300. It was a little rough in operation, but not bad.

Best, RG
Old February 19, 2002, 12:15 PM   #3
redneck

Can't give you specific details on price. however there were two production runs. First one ended in 1915 IIRC. It was a one peice gun, didn't break in two where the barrel and magazine meet the action. The second production run went on through 55' and could break down. The one peice guns are worth a lot more.