The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 26, 2009, 09:13 AM   #1
NAB

Fire Proof Safes

Any recommendations on a large fireproof safe with a capacity of 40+. Mostly Liberty model safes where I'm from.
Old June 28, 2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Big Caliber

I have just gone through a mess of safe shopping myself. I decided on a Mustang safe made by SunWelding in Simi Valley, CA. I saw them at the Ventura gun show a few weeks ago. Google them up and see their product line. They have a basic "PlainJane" safe and some with all the bells and whistles you want. And they are made in the USA!
Old June 28, 2009, 09:25 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

There is no such thing as a fire proof safe within a few thousand dollar range. You'll have to check with fellow member a1abdj on what it takes to get a true fire proof one.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 29, 2009, 12:25 PM   #4
kmullins

Quote:
I have just gone through a mess of safe shopping myself. I decided on a Mustang safe made by SunWelding in Simi Valley, CA. I saw them at the Ventura gun show a few weeks ago. Google them up and see their product line. They have a basic "PlainJane" safe and some with all the bells and whistles you want. And they are made in the USA!
Hm Sun Welding Safe Company? Never heard of them before but I just checked out their website and they look nice. I'm in the safe market as well, how do you like this safe?
Old June 29, 2009, 07:21 PM   #5
Adirondack

And I'm sure someone will say I work for these guys again, but I just bought a safe from Sturdy Safe and am very happy with it. Weight was a concern for me and what I like about their design is that they use 2300 degree ceramic wool in their safes and fully enclose the contents on all sides with fire protection (I didn't get fireproofing after all and I do regret that.) They use heavy gauge steel for their price range and their design is very simple and robust. So from a price to weight to fireproofing to security standpoint you get a lot of bang for the buck.

They are also a plain Jane design and 100% US made like SunWelding and the price is pretty reasonable too; consider them as well if you're in the market www.sturdysafe.com

Last edited by Adirondack; June 29, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old June 29, 2009, 11:50 PM   #6
Shawn Thompson

You have to be careful when buying a safe based on "fire ratings". Some testing agencies will claim a specific duration of time at a given temperature, but when you dig a little deeper you will find that the method of their test includes the time it takes to get to that temperature.

There are some independent testing facilities like Omega, which I believe is where Liberty Safes are tested and rated, start their test with the safe already at the prescribed temperature. Therefore, the time it takes to bring the safe up to temperature is not included in their rating.

If you are looking at a Liberty safe you have started off in the right direction.

Last edited by Shawn Thompson; June 30, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
Old July 4, 2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Big Caliber

KMullins-- I ordered the safe about 3 weeks ago. After I figure out how to get it out of the pu truck, I'll be elated with it. Most of the safes I've seen or read about are basically the same. Door and box thicknesses differ of course, and most boast a Sargent & Green-something lock, most starting fire ratings are around 1200 degrees for 30 minutes. I opted for size over fire protection because I can always add more fire protection later. My biggest concern was the "smash n grab" burglar. No safe within my means is completely fireproof or boogie-man proof. This one has a 1/4" thick steel door w/ 5 deadbolts and 5 live bolts. It's 6 ' tall, 44" wide, and I forget how deep it is, and weighs in at a little over 800#. It shall be bolted down to a concrete floor. Their safes have many upgrades and are lifetime warranted (or is it warranteed?). But I would encourage those shopping for a safe to go where-ever you can to touch and feel and taste as many safes as you can. And please don't settle on any Chinese made products:barf: no matter which American name is on it. Happy shopping!