The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 30, 2009, 10:16 PM   #1
gpboy57

what is a good price for a russian sks?

what are russian sks rifles going for today? saw one in pawn shop yesterday looked pretty good, had scope,extra stock, extra magazine ( the kind that replaces the fixed magazine) had russian stamped on the side of the receiver-wanted 499.00 for it-good deal or pass up
Old January 30, 2009, 10:33 PM   #2
ISC

A little high, but everything's high these days...
Old January 30, 2009, 10:51 PM   #3
Technosavant

That was a shade on the high side a few years ago. Now? Well, I'm not so sure. Yugo SKSs seem to have gone up by at least 50% since Russians went for $400, and $499 is less of an increase.
Old January 31, 2009, 08:38 AM   #4
Tom2

Canadians are getting new shipments of Russian SKS and they are only paying 250 for them. I would say the starting prices now for a good Russ would be 350 here, and then whatever someone wants to ask for them. Sorry, an SKS is not a 500$ gun to me unless it was a super rare country or Joe Stalins personal rifle. I understand the economics of supply/demand but you do have to reach the point where you ask-is this really worth the asking price? Unless you are a collector, you will pay for that which you simply must have. Probably some crappy guns that cost alot more because of rarity now, regardless of shootability or reliability. Look at the old 1878 model COlts, they were frowned upon at one time as they were a flimsy DA action and broke alot. Now they are high regardless of durability. This is not to say these qualities apply to SKS, just that if they keep going up, it will not be because of their performance or design being that desireable.
Old January 31, 2009, 09:04 AM   #5
j-a-r

I've been seeing them in the $450 to $500 range these days.

J-a-r
Old January 31, 2009, 01:30 PM   #6
Ricklin

89 bucks

Wasn't but 10 -12 years ago we were paying 89 bucks for a ruskie. Wish I would have bought more then, they have done much better than my 401K lots more fun too.
Old February 2, 2009, 05:20 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
what are russian sks rifles going for today? saw one in pawn shop yesterday looked pretty good, had scope,extra stock, extra magazine ( the kind that replaces the fixed magazine)...
The $400-$500 figure seems to be in line with how Soviet SKSs are priced in my area nowadays, but I wouldn't pay anywhere near that amount for one with an aftermarket scope or a detachable magazine, unless they can be easily removed to put the rifle back in its original configuration.

I don't like sporterized or "Bubba'd" guns, but that's just me. YMMV.
Old February 2, 2009, 05:46 PM   #8
martin08

Many variables to consider. Original unissued with all matching numbers and near perfect furniture - maybe worth the money.

But if it's a refurb (black bolt carrier, XXXX stock, re-arsenal stamp, most laminated stocks, non-matching numbers), the value goes down from there.

Extras like scopes and mounts (unless it's the original russian sniper), holes drilled in the receiver, detachable mags and such don't neccessarily add to the value and some modifications detract from value from a collectors standpoint.

If you're just going to shoot it - you would do well to find a refurb for $300 - 350.

Here's my '54 Tula in lam stock. It came with all the accessories and extras in a private sale for $250. Yeah, that was a real deal, but a re-arsenal like this can be found with some modest searching for $350ish.