The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Closed Thread

Old February 15, 2005, 01:30 PM   #1
woodland

Ever heard of this gun?

A guy just gave my father in law a gun to try out. On the side it says:

"Wilkinson Arms Model Linda 9mm Luger Carbine. Parma ID."

It is a semi automatic. The barrel is held on by a large knurled nut, and has a full length shroud around it. The stock is wood, with carving on it of eagles, and such. The shoulder stock is a metal tube, with a wood butt plate. It also has a shorter barrel with it, probably about 8" or 9". Looks like a 30 round magazine, that goes through the pistol grip. Looks very similar to a Beretta mag, but didn't have one with me to compare.

He was told that only about 600 of them were made, and they were very rare. It looked to be really well made, and was fairly hefty for it's size. He has not shot it yet, but thinks the guy is wanting to try and sell it to him.

I did find this from some searching: http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=6453465
It looks just like this, but with a heavier shrouded barrel. Barrel may have been a little longer than this one too. The wood was not to bad, and the carving was really pretty good. Don't know if it came with the carving, or if someone did that later.
Just looking for any info on it, and maybe a value too. Thanks!
Old February 16, 2005, 09:33 AM   #2
johnbt

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976442473.htm

"Wilkinson Arms Linda "Luger Carbine" 9mm Semi Auto Pre Ban Carbine. S/N 932xxx, one of only 2200 marked "Luger Carbine" on the receiver. NIB. 16 3/16" shrouded barrel with wooden forearm, aluminum receiver, fixed tubular stock with wood pad, aperture rear sight, and one 31 round magazine. Very unique. $1495- plus shipping/ins."
Old February 16, 2005, 11:57 AM   #3
woodland

Yup! That's the one! Anyone ever shot one?
Old February 16, 2005, 05:28 PM   #4
knightkrawler00

I put a couple magazines through one a friend had for a little while. Ran perfect for me, didn't shoot it for groups. Friend said that it ran 100% for him, though he didn't have it long enough to put a lot of rounds down range. They are definately fun to shoot and pretty well made.
Old March 24, 2005, 09:36 AM   #5
Redstick

Wilkinson Linda Manual

Does anyone have an owner's manual for a Wilkinson Linda that they could scan in and e-mail me at emcgovern2000. It would be greatly appreciated and would rate some Injun beadwork in return.
Thanks,
Redstick
Old March 24, 2005, 01:03 PM   #6
molonlabe

I own several types both the linda pistol and 2 M68 carbines low sequential serial numbers and a variant called the M80 that has a scope rail serial # 1X. They shoot very accurately and I was once at the Lake Elsinor range in SO California shooting at a armor plate about 150 ~ 200 yards away. I would fire then ...........................tink Fire ...........................tink. As you can see the barrel is quite robust and Guns and Ammo (I have a copy of it ) filled 9mm brass full with Bullseye, and had got almost 2000fps out of it with no problems to the weapon. Its accuracy is enhanced by the bolt wrapping around the barrel in precise alignment, (a unique design). My carbines are J& R engineering and if you look on the California ban list they are specifically listed. I suspect the wood is not original because I think they were originally plastic. I have a simple 4 page manual for both the Carbines and Linda pistol if you like PM me and I will send you PDF versions.

I Don't want you in here period...Patricia Konie NOLA 2005

Last edited by molonlabe; March 24, 2005 at 02:12 PM.
Old March 24, 2005, 01:17 PM   #7
BillCA

The Wilkinson Arms guns and specifically the "Linda" Carbine garnered some attention in the 70's. However production problems along with cash-flow caused the company to fail (IIRC). Some of the early units suffered malfunctions, mostly failure to feed. The only example I ever saw was only 15 rounds out of the box and it broke an extractor at round #34. This unit was fixed and at round #82 something broke in the trigger mechanism. Gun would only feed FMJ and no JHPs or JSPs would run in the gun. Gun was sold after it was repaired.

I think that most collectors of these guns have ironed out the problems themselves or have later models that Wilkinson didn't have to buy back. It remains one of those "good ideas" that never got the funding necessary to make a real winner out of it.
Old March 24, 2005, 02:07 PM   #8
molonlabe

Gun Trivia

Linda and Terry are both named after his daughters.

I believe prior to Wilkson arms It was owned by J & R engineering of So Cal. Yes there were problems of punching through primers, feeding, ect. All worked out on mine.

Sorry got pulled away. J & R was the original designers and Wilkinson arms made improvements some good some bad. All of mine function well with occasional FTF which is a fine line to walk between punching through the primer and FTF. Of course that required some work but someone with mechanical skills can correct these problems. Given what they are worth (being one of the first high capacity 9's introduced in the late 60's I don't shoot them much anymore.

I Don't want you in here period...Patricia Konie NOLA 2005

Last edited by molonlabe; March 24, 2005 at 07:14 PM.
Old March 24, 2005, 03:28 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

While not a factory owner's manual, the older Gun Digest Book "Firearms Assembly/Disassembly: Law Enforcement Firearms" Part Six, had a section on the Wilkerson carbine showing complete disassembly.
Old March 26, 2005, 08:02 AM   #10
Redstick

"Wilkinson", not "Wilkerson"

Hey Dfariswheel,
It prob'ly wouldn't be as good as the actual owner's manual for the Linda, but could you scan in that "Part 6" and e-mail it to me?
Thanks,
Redstick
Old February 23, 2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Rad9mm

I was a sale's rep for Linda 9mm, Northwest arms.

Hi all, My past history as a sales rep and personal Owner of 5 Lindas from silenced to original was an outstanding Job. I agree that at the beggining they had the normal qirks of any gun smith. But let me tell you, The new factory of Northwest arms is fantastic. From new calibers to suppresion. Please feel free to ask I am currently looking for some original manuals and also current.
Thanks
Old February 23, 2007, 02:00 PM   #12
Bill DeShivs

If you install the short barrel, the gun will be illegal. Or, these guns were made in a pistol version, too-if my memory is correct. Either way, something seems amiss.
Bill
Old March 10, 2007, 09:02 AM   #13
joezeta

ANY SOURCE FOR MAGS ? or do they use UZI Mags?

I have a couple of these carbines, i have one that is 100% Factory NIB, i want to sell them, but cant find where i put the mag!!!!

any source for a mag or 2 ?

thanks, Joezeta
Old March 27, 2007, 12:32 AM   #14
Nogrey

Linda Carbine with "Armalloy bolt and barrel"

I live in Idaho, and went to the factory to purchase my Linda. It was shortly after it had been sold to Northwest Arms. Mr. Wilkinson had passed away. The new owner, John, said that production stopped because of the previous owners death. The CNC equipment looked top notch, and they still had about 500 Linda's available for sale (that was in 1999). I had a little trouble with the unit jamming occasionally. I returned to the factory with it and have had no trouble with it since. My Linda has an "armalloy" barrel and bolt. It operates exactly the same as my friends standard model, but is supposed to be tougher. The barrel and bolt on the armalloy model are silver instead of black. I shoot the gun regularly. I purchased it with the optional C-more sighting system. I can stand and shoot a 6" resetting target at 50 yards and hit it every time (as long as I let it settle). It's a great gun.
Old June 4, 2007, 11:50 PM   #15
MAragorn

I have a Linda

I bought it new a LONG time ago. I have 5 or 6 mags I think.

When I first got it, it would fail to feed occaionally. I called the owner. He said, sorry, I got one of the "Full Auto" springs in mine. He sent me a replacement spring. I never had another problem with it.

It is a very well made gun. Mine has the wooden forearm.
Old June 5, 2007, 08:41 PM   #16
joezeta

ok , i found a mag for one....i have a NIB Wilkinson , Paperwork/manual are still sealed in bag attached to trigger guard.. Will Trade or sell

I also have a Scarce TWO digit Serial # J&R Carbine, that was the original Design of the wilkinson.....again will sell or trade

[email protected]
Old July 31, 2007, 05:26 PM   #17
jaywalkerone

Wow...
I have been searching off and on for reference or mention of the J&R Eng. m-68 for two years! I have one and need a little help. I bought it after a friend of mine (not to smart) managed to twist the guide rods and recoil springs. He did this by applying a pin spanner to the rear hatch cover and trying to unscrew it for dissassembly. The cover does not come off that way. I always loved that little gun and thats why I bought it from him. I was very confident that I could fix it but now I have to say that I am very stumped about how to get that little hatch cover off. It free-spins with the pin spanner but does not want to pop out in any position. There is what appears to be a little key latch that might engage a raceway along the edge of the cover but it does not move at all. I can probably find recoil springs that will work and I can make duplicate guide rods on a lathe but that rear cover would have to come out. Does anybody know whats going on here? ANY help or words of advise would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Any manuals or diagrams would just be awsome! Anyhow... Thanks guys for reading this and have a great day!
Old August 3, 2007, 02:47 AM   #18
InferriCanis

I've had several of these over the years but, I never removed the rear plug. On removing the barrel, the bolt would slide out to where you could remove the bolt handle, and then the assembly. Hope this helps.
Old August 3, 2007, 06:37 PM   #19
InferriCanis

OOPS, my bad

I was thinking of a different design when I wrote about M-68 tear down.
Old October 27, 2007, 01:31 PM   #20
RedeyeGunner

Hey guys, would like to revive this thread as I am in search of mags. Has anyone found a source for mags, or, mags for another gun that can be made to fit with minor smithing? Appreciate any leads.

Mike
Old December 12, 2007, 11:53 AM   #21
eligun

I would like to revive this thread as well. I came across a J&R M68 which I purchased. Think I located a magazine for it and should have it in my hands at the end of the week. The mag is for a Linda but my understanding is it should be the same. Will let you know.

Looking for a manual if anyone has a M68 or Linda. Please PM me if you have one available.

Thanks!
Old February 15, 2008, 09:56 PM   #22
Neener Neener

I have just purchased on of these and would appreciate if anyone could email or scan a manual to me at [email protected]. I would also be interested in a source for a couple of mags for it. Thanks in advance!
Old February 21, 2008, 09:36 PM   #23
rbounds217

Anybody got a picture of these guns?
Old February 21, 2008, 09:53 PM   #24
SDC

Check out http://www.securityarms.com/20010315.../2100/2121.htm
Old February 22, 2008, 02:06 PM   #25
joezeta

im selling this one, J&R 9mm carbine

This was the predecessor to the later Wilkinson/linda carbine, Wilkinson bought the Rights from J&R....the gun does not look to be fired much from what i can tell, possibly test fired only ? No original Mag accept for one that i recently picked up, have not tried it so cant say for sure how the mag will function

It is Serial # 50 . dont know how many were produced , but i do not think there were many....

Cash price $575.00 del. .........will consider trades

http://i15.tinypic.com/67du63t.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/4xuzhaf.jpg
http://i12.tinypic.com/6eykvo9.jpg
http://i10.tinypic.com/4uewpvq.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/53zh8na.jpg
Closed Thread