The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 29, 2013, 09:29 PM   #1
ghengiskhan

Colt SAA value/worth?

Wonder what this Colt SAA is worth:

direct links because a maximum of 6 is allowed.

http://i.imgur.com/jCPa43r.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ac0GauG.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zZ4iJ52.jpg

I have other images but they may or may not be if any interest.

It has extremely poor lock-up, the trigger is feather light (seemingly too light), only 3 clicks when pulling the hammer back, but it's mostly matching, original finish (?) and the bore is decent (I misplaced that photo but will find it soon).
//Edit:// Pictures were enormous so I resized them.

If you want the full size picture: right click > copy image address > delete the "l" at the end of the address > go
Old December 30, 2013, 12:31 AM   #2
Beagle333

I would contact someone from an auction house (a live one) that handled such old black powder frame models. 'Pretty nice to have though!
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old December 30, 2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Bill DeShivs

The gun has had it's original nickel finish removed with a wire wheel. That's bad.
Old December 30, 2013, 09:05 AM   #4
PetahW

Bad, for what it does to the value.........

Old December 30, 2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Hawg

Serial number dates it to 1883 but with those brush marks, poor lockup and those grips I wouldn't attempt a guess at value.
Old December 30, 2013, 12:56 PM   #6
ghengiskhan

Why is it stamped 1871?

Bad news about the removed finish I suppose. I look on GunBroker and see some auctions asking astronomical prices but no bids...

I suppose another way to ask my initial question is.... what would YOU pay for it you saw it.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Jim Watson

1871 is when the first relevant patent was issued. Others in 1872 and 1875.

Barrel has apparently been sawn off, too.

I have seen shabby SAAs like this go for prices in the low teens at LOCAL auctions where the buyers are enthusiastic but not real critical or knowledgeable.
Old December 31, 2013, 10:16 AM   #8
ghengiskhan

Thanks Jim, I know you said "local" auctions, but is there a reasonable reserve/starting bid I should set if I decide to put it up on GunBroker?

I live out in the boonies so even if I find a local auction, it isn't likely to draw many persons.
Old December 31, 2013, 01:40 PM   #9
fdf

OP,

Send your original post to Collectors Firearms in Houston, TX or post on the Colt Collectors Forum.
Old December 31, 2013, 01:45 PM   #10
fdf

OP,

Send your original post to Collectors Firearms in Houston, TX of post or the Colt Collectors Forum.
Old January 1, 2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Hawg

Quote:
what would YOU pay for it you saw it.
Now this is just me but I would try my damndest to get it for 250. If I couldn't get it for 300 I'd walk. Others may be willing to give more.
Old January 1, 2014, 12:12 PM   #12
Beagle333

Agreed... it's worth at least $250 just for a conversation piece that is stuck on a wall in somebody's office.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 1, 2014, 05:38 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

$250??? That gun has been hard used and "treated" to a bad rebluing job, but $250 is ridiculous; even in today's down market it should bring in the high four figures, maybe even the low five. It is in the intermediate black powder range, all matching (the loading gates never match as the number is an assembly number) and in fair condition. I wish I could buy guns like that for $250 - I would clean out the life savings.

Jim
Old January 1, 2014, 06:14 PM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
and in fair condition
No disrespect but I would call it poor condition.
Old January 1, 2014, 08:49 PM   #15
Rigmarol

$250 to $550 I'd stop and take a good look but more would be for an more discerning buying than I am.

Nice piece in my opinion and I hope you get enough to make you smile really big.
Good luck.
Old January 1, 2014, 10:17 PM   #16
kwhi43

Might could see 150.00 mebby.
Old January 1, 2014, 10:51 PM   #17
MJN77

Quote:
That gun has been hard used and "treated" to a bad rebluing job, but $250 is ridiculous; even in today's down market it should bring in the high four figures, maybe even the low five.
That revolver has had the nickle finish stripped with a wire brush, the barrel has been cut at some point, and it has internal issues. As it sits right now it is (to use your own term from another thread) a "paperweight". And repairing it might make the value drop even lower. I think $250 is a low guess, but "high four figures, maybe even the low five" for a revolver in this condition is extremely over valued. Only an idiot or complete "rube" would shell out that much for a gun in this shape. From what I see being sold at auctions it could probably bring $1000-$2000 +/- IF it means something to a collector and depending on what's going on inside of the gun and what, if anything, else is the matter with it. But a true collector would hold out for a better condition piece. Last year I saw a Colt Bisley in good shooting condition, that had been buffed and re finished go for $1200 on Gunbroker. To tell the truth, the only way for the OP to determine the value if this revolver is to take it to an auction house or someone who knows Colt revolvers.
As an example, (this one supposedly works)
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=384450204

Last edited by MJN77; January 1, 2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old January 1, 2014, 11:26 PM   #18
Jim Watson

A local store had a row of SAA "roaches" at tag prices into the $3000+ range.
Those things laid there for years. I don't know if they sold, www auction, or back to an over ambitious consigner, but they were not generating much average cash flow even at best.

As I said, I have watched a number of these things sell at local auctions for $1000 and up, but not very far up, over the pst year or two.
Old January 2, 2014, 09:57 PM   #19
ghengiskhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by James K
$250??? That gun has been hard used and "treated" to a bad rebluing job, but $250 is ridiculous; even in today's down market it should bring in the high four figures, maybe even the low five. It is in the intermediate black powder range, all matching (the loading gates never match as the number is an assembly number) and in fair condition. I wish I could buy guns like that for $250 - I would clean out the life savings.
I think they're trolling/looking for an easy kill. Perhaps this recurring $250 is the pricing of yester-year that many wish would return...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
A local store had a row of SAA "roaches" at tag prices into the $3000+ range.
Those things laid there for years. I don't know if they sold, www auction, or back to an over ambitious consigner, but they were not generating much average cash flow even at best.

As I said, I have watched a number of these things sell at local auctions for $1000 and up, but not very far up, over the pst year or two.
I'm certainly in no rush to sell; I don't mind listing it online and setting what I now feel is an appropriate reserve/starting bid. If it sells, fantastic. If not, so be it. It certainly doesn't take up any significant room in my vault so there's no urgency in getting rid of it.

Thanks for the replies, some of you have been quite helpful.
Old January 2, 2014, 10:00 PM   #20
James K
Member In Memoriam

OK, I admit to going a bit overboard, but still $250 is pretty low, and it has been a long time since I have seen any SAA go for under $150. If anyone will let me know where those guns are, I will take a chance and buy a dozen at that price.

Jim
Old January 3, 2014, 03:18 AM   #21
Old Stony

Seems like a lot of over and under valuations flying around here. I would price it in the 1,000 range myself and without handling it figure +/- 150 bucks.
Just the grips alone...if they are in good shape...should bring over the 300.00 mark nowdays. Stag brings a real premium anymore. If a person would consider just the parts value of this handgun, they would be way over the 250.00 mentioned here.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:04 AM   #22
Hawg

Quote:
I think they're trolling/looking for an easy kill. Perhaps this recurring $250 is the pricing of yester-year that many wish would return...
I'm not trolling anything. I couldn't buy it if it was going for 100. I gave what I consider to be an honest real world figure.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:28 AM   #23
MJN77

I don't think anyone was "trolling" or trying to get an "easy kill". I think they told you what your gun was worth to them. Not everyone gets excited over a Colt SAA and most of the guys on here aren't collectors with money to burn. Me included. But I have studied guns of this era for over twenty years and know what market value is. You won't get rich off of this gun, but like I said, $1000-$2000 is fair market price for what you have. If I was interested and had the cash, I would offer $1500 and feel that was fair. Like I said, take it to an expert.

Last edited by MJN77; January 3, 2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old January 3, 2014, 06:45 AM   #24
Hawg

Quote:
Not everyone gets excited over a Colt SAA
I do get excited over SAA's but not that one. Original finish gone, wire brushed, chopped barrel, worn out action, and aftermarket grips. Maybe I'm way off base but I just don't see the kind of money most of you are talking about.
Old January 3, 2014, 07:44 AM   #25
MJN77

Quote:
I do get excited over SAA's but not that one. Original finish gone, wire brushed, chopped barrel, worn out action, and aftermarket grips. Maybe I'm way off base but I just don't see the kind of money most of you are talking about.
My point was, that not everyone sees a Colt and is ready to throw "high four figures, maybe low five" at that little horsey because it's a Colt. I'm the same way. I look at the condition of the gun. I have no desire to own a gun like that. But, as for "value", Colt is a big seller. I have seen junked out "parts" and wall hanger Colts go for $800 and $900. It's stupid, but people will pay for them and I told the OP what I honestly thought it would bring in the market place. Personally I would rather have a modern Uberti repro of a BP frame Colt than the genuine thing. You can shoot the heck out of a Uberti and not think about it. If you do that to a 118 (or more) year old Colt it lowers the value of the gun and you have to worry about breaking things. I don't own guns I can't use.

Last edited by MJN77; January 3, 2014 at 11:34 AM.