The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 11, 2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Gary Slider

NC . . . DC & Empty Brass . . ID/SC Reciprocity . . . IL Car Carry & Laser Sights

North Carolina laws will change the 1st of Oct. The big one is carry in restaurants. Restrictions on some places we are not allowed to carry will be removed. North Dakota passed a new law and they now have restaurant carry. I never saw one word in print about North Dakota and them passing Restaurant Carry. South Carolina is the only state that doesn’t allow restaurant carry of some type now. The NC Page will be updated at Handgunlaw.us on or about Aug 1.

Emily Miller of the Washington Post (Emily Get Your Gun) has a new book out and she states in her book that DC Police have been advised to arrest anyone who has any cartridge components in a vehicle that are accessible to anyone in the vehicle. If you have an empty shell casing, primer, powder that is the same as having loaded ammunition and in DC you have to have a license to possess ammo. I checked out their laws and it is posted below. It is a big fine and could be a year in jail. Be careful!

DC Code § 7-2501.01. Definitions http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/dccode/

(2) "Ammunition" means cartridge cases, shells, projectiles (including shot), primers, bullets (including restricted pistol bullets), propellant powder, or other devices or materials designed, redesigned, or intended for use in a firearm or destructive device.

DC Code § 7-2506.01. Persons Permitted to Possess Ammunition
(a) No person shall possess ammunition in the District of Columbia unless:
(1) He is a licensed dealer pursuant to subchapter IV of this unit;
(2) He is an officer, agent, or employee of the District of Columbia or the United States of America, on duty and acting within the scope of his duties when possessing such ammunition;
(3) He is the holder of a valid registration certificate for a firearm pursuant to subchapter II of this chapter; except, that no such person shall possess restricted pistol bullets;
(4) He holds an ammunition collector's certificate on September 24, 1976; or
(5) He temporarily possesses ammunition while participating in a firearms training and safety class conducted by a firearms instructor.

I keep getting emails saying Idaho has signed an agreement for their “Enhanced Permit Only” with SC. There is no agreement yet. I have contacted the ID State Police who forwarded me to the Attorney Generals Office and am awaiting a return call from them. Nothing since I called them Friday Sept 6th. The ID State Police jumped the gun on listing this. Pun intended. There is no direct link to the ID State Police Listing you have to get to it as described below and see for yourself.
Go to this Link: http://www.isp.idaho.gov/BCI/index.html

Click on “License to Carry Concealed Weapon.” When the widow opens below click on “CWL Reciprocity with other States” at the bottom of the window. On that page it shows Reciprocity with South Carolina. Click on South Carolina and you will see the communications between ID and SC. As the communications state ID sent them a draft agreement which SC requires to honor someone but nothing after that. Nothing from SC showing a signed agreement. On other states in that list it shows the actual letters stating they honor ID or a signed agreement. There is nothing like that there from SC. I have informed Major Weir of SLED (by email) about what the Idaho State Police are stating telling him. I would hate to see a good guy/gal get arrested by just following what their state police is telling them. I have not heard back from him.

The ID State Police had that listing there since mid July. SC Just added New Mexico to the list of states they honor and if they had a signed agreement with ID they would have added them also. No Agreement has been signed and delivered yet so SC does not honor the Enhanced ID Permit at this time. They will as soon as they have a signed agreement. SC has been slow in the past with the paperwork.

Illinois law allows those with a valid permit/license in their home state to keep that loaded firearm on their person if traveling through Illinois in a vehicle. If you must stop and leave the vehicle you can store the loaded firearm in a closed container in a locked vehicle. If you wish to store it in the trunk or back of the vehicle you have to unload it before exiting the vehicle. The wording in the law states if you can legally carry a firearm in your home state you can carry in your vehicle in Illinois. Handgunlaw.us is stating at this time that you should have a permit/license from your state of residence before carrying in a vehicle while traveling through IL. The Administrative Rules have not been written yet and for IL to know what states allow permitless carry, Carry on another states permit/license etc etc is a huge task and I don’t see them doing it. I expect them to state a permit/license from your state of residence or if we get lucky any valid permit/license. Until they do write the Admin Rules Handgunlaw.us will continue to recommend you not carry in a vehicle in IL without a resident permit/license. For more information on carry in a vehicle see the RV/Car Carry Section of the IL page at www.handgunlaw..us
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf

Also Chicago and Cicero Illinois have Ordinances that ban Laser Sites. I have checked other cities in IL for such ordinances but I can’t check every city. Be Careful! Chicago PD has been advised to confiscate any firearms with attached Lasers. IL Preemption states that the state has preemption on Firearms and Ammunition. It doesn’t mention accessories. Chicago is in the process of rewriting their firearm laws to comply with the new state preemption and I am hearing that this is being removed in the new ordinance but looking at the bill I do not see this being removed. If they don’t remove it I see a court case settling it one way or the other. Use Caution! http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/C...ewCarryLaw.pdf

Chicago and Laser Sights! http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en...rdinance_.html

8-20-060 Possession of a Laser Sight Accessory, Firearm Silencer or Muffler.
(a) It is unlawful for any person to carry, possess, display for sale, sell or otherwise transfer any laser sight accessory, or a firearm silencer or muffler.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any members of the armed forces of the United States, or the organized militia of this or any other state, or peace officers, to the extent that any such person is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess a laser sight accessory, or firearm silencer or muffler, and is acting within the scope of his duties.
www.handgunlaw.us 7
(c) Any laser sight accessory, or firearm silencer or muffler, carried, possessed, displayed or sold in violation of this section is hereby declared to be contraband and shall be seized by and forfeited to the city.

Cicero and Laser Sights. http://www.municode.com/Library/IL/Cicero

Sec. 62-195. Laser sight accessories.
(a) Definition. The term "laser sight accessory" means a laser sighting device which is either integrated into a firearm or capable of being attached to a firearm.
(b) Possession of laser sight accessories prohibited. No person shall sell, offer or display for sale, give, lend, transfer ownership of, acquire or possess any laser sight accessory in the town provided, that this section shall not apply to any members of the armed forces of the United States, or the organized militia of this or any other state and police officers as defined in this Code to the extent that any such person is otherwise authorized to acquire or possess a laser sight accessory and is acting within the scope of his duties.

I have found two other cities that ban firearm lasers. Many other cities have ordinances against illuminating a person or property with a laser. Again there could be more cities that ban lasers.
Roselle, Illinois Sec. 13-9. http://www.municode.com/Library/IL/Roselle
Thornton, Illinois Sec. 10-1-13 http://www.municode.com/Library/IL/Thornton
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.

Last edited by Gary Slider; September 11, 2013 at 08:46 PM.