The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 16, 2013, 06:11 PM   #1
BoogieMan

Hi im the Boogiem and im a recoil junky

I feel I need to confess with a crowd that may understand. I have waited (NJ bull) about 6 months total to get my 460s&w. Well today I took it out for a spin. No one on the 50yd range but me. Hung my targets, loaded the 200gr hornadys and fired 5 shots. If you havent shot one of these or your recoil shy you probably dont understand. Those of you that have can appreciate that this is my first time firing a hand cannon. Normally im a 9mm 1911 shooter. Back to the epic change I just underwent. The heat that blows back at you, the massive plume of fire and a concussion that hits you is incredible. I actually felt a tingle go up my thigh. I thought to myself this must be the rush that a crack addict gets the first time they fire up a rock. I had no problem with >4" groups at 25, so I walked back to 50 and rested on the table. >4" groups again. I shot up 40 rounds ($70) and I reluctantly put it down. I am starting to think of things I can sell or do without to buy more ammo. Maybe the wife can get a job.
Has any one else had a similar experience? Should I seek a 12 step program?
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 16, 2013, 06:32 PM   #2
AID_Admin

Did you ever try hand grenades?! These are fun!
On the serious note, I never handled a gun of this caliber, but now I want to!
Old April 16, 2013, 09:12 PM   #3
big al hunter

Boogieman, your right to think you need a 12 step program. You are already on your way. The first step is admitting that you have a problem, which you just did. And I am here fir you if you need support in your program. Now is the time for

step 2. Find a way to buy more ammo: sell something you don't need anymore ( kids maybe)

step 3 get to the range any way you can ( hitch hiking is safe when your armed )

step 4. Well you get the idea, and i am still here for you. I love my 454.

ETA: start handloading its cheaper.
Old April 16, 2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Gdawgs

Yep, time to start reloading.

You are doing really well if you can hold 4" groups your first time out with a beast. I have a hard time doing it with my BFR.

Ok, now where are the pictures. Let's see that baby!!
Old April 17, 2013, 06:14 PM   #5
Ferretboy

Now I want a Hip Howitzer too, damn.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:31 PM   #6
BoogieMan

I have the Lee loadmaster and also have dies for the 460 along with some cases that I have collected. 1000 large rifle primers and about 500 bullets. Its a start. After resting a day I am a little surprised that my arm is somewhat sore. LOL
I will have the chance to shoot again this weekend on my own place in the mountains. Its time for the hunting club "work detail". What this means is that I can set up milk jugs of water at 50yds out to about 600yds. I dont think I can hit anything with iron sights at that distance. But the ones at 50 and 100 will be spectacular when hit with the hornady 200gr xtp's.
Something I noticed. I shot mostly 200gr xtp's but I also fired some 275 HP Federals. The Feds allowed gasses to come back and were noticeably less recoil. Any recomendations on factory ammo? I figure I will enjoy shooting them and then I will have the cases to reload. The revolver is so awesome to actually recover the spent brass. My next wheel gun will be a 357 (as soon as I locate a used blue one), that leaves me one more permit. I was thinking another 1911, maybe 10mm. But now I dont know. Any suggestions? I dont care for the grip on SA's. I have 9mm Largo,luger,mak. .22lr in semi's. The 460 should drop any game I ever come across. I cant say I need any others. But I like the over the edge bang I get from the 460. I considered a 500, a 444. Anybody make a 300 Weatherby in a handgun?
Sorry if I seem a bit random. I have never been so thrilled with a gun purchase. To coin a popular (not with me) politician " I have had an epiphany" . Can these be bought? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea_Q8C_67jY
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown

Last edited by BoogieMan; April 17, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 10:10 PM   #7
riggins_83

I love hard kickers in handguns, not as much in rifles (don't find them fun to shoot). Largest caliber I like to shoot in rifle is 30-06, far as handguns go.. bring it on! How about a 45-70 derringer? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=nax7El5hIHg
Old April 17, 2013, 10:35 PM   #8
big al hunter

The TC Encore has some rifle cartridges in handgun form. tcarms.com 30-06 with a 15 inch barrel? Ouch !!! But they aren't revolvers
Old April 18, 2013, 05:49 AM   #9
BoogieMan

I have never fired a 30-06 pistol. But I dont know if it would compare to the .460 in similar weapons. 30-06 is higher velocity but its a lighter bullet at lower pressure.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old April 18, 2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Gdawgs

My dad has a Lone Eagle in 30-06. It has nowhere near the recoil of a 460. More like a stout 44 Mag. They are really loud with about a 3 ft sphere of fireball.
Old April 18, 2013, 07:53 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

I have several "old school" boomers, but have yet to purchase an X Frame... I did get to shoot a 4" 500 S&W at Ahlmans shooters round up last year... a couple cylinders full & I had a pretty big smile on my face

BTW, on their range, I actually had the concussion knock over a couple targets
Old May 18, 2013, 12:27 AM   #12
Glock20/460long

Now your looking for a 357?
Old May 18, 2013, 12:33 AM   #13
zxcvbob

What really sucks is liking the recoil of the big boomers but having a flinch.

If you really want recoil, you should try one of the 8 oz. .380's. It's like having a firecracker go off in your hand every time you pull the trigger.
Old May 18, 2013, 02:19 AM   #14
Rick_A

What about going with the lighter guns and standard calibers. 357 in the ultra lights are a handful in my opinion. So are the 44 mags in short barrels. Jmo
Old May 18, 2013, 07:48 AM   #15
BoogieMan

Quote:
If you really want recoil, you should try one of the 8 oz. .380's. It's like having a firecracker go off in your hand every time you pull the trigger
My buddy bought a PPS-9mm for his wife. I find that to be uncomfortable to shoot due to that snap. While the massive push of the 460 is a pleasure.

Quote:
Now your looking for a 357?
I know its a bit backazzwords, but I wanted the 460 bad. Now I like the whole "revolver thing" also. 357 seems perfect to continue to explore the revolvers. I have several SA's 9m, 9L, 9La, 40
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old May 18, 2013, 08:13 AM   #16
Ozzieman

I haven’t shot the 460 but I have shot 6 rounds through an S&W 500.
Let’s just say that I am at that point in life that I get 3 or 4 letters from AARP each week and I want to keep shooting even after AARP quits hitting on me.
Those 6 rounds were enough. I shoot mostly big bore stuff. 45 Colt, 44 mag, special and a lot of that. To be truthful I didn’t mind the recoil as much as what effect is has on my wrist and elbow.
Now if Ruger made the 77/44 in 460 or 500 I would own one in a second.
Recoil can be addictive and fun but keep in mind the effect it has on you. Shoot a couple of cylinders full and then hold your hand out. If your hand is shaking you have affected the nerves in your hand and arm.
But man, have fun, and taking it out to an empty range to let it go, that was good of you.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:25 AM   #17
EdInk

Buffalo Bore +P+ cartridges or Handloads are the only way a real recoil junkie can be satisfied or possibly cured.

Load up a Ruger with <6" barrel with the hottest offering they make and give it try.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:47 AM   #18
newfrontier45

You're not the first person to find out that big bore sixguns are like crack!
Old May 19, 2013, 12:16 AM   #19
MarkDozier

I have shot 30-06 in a contender pistol. Word of caution, DON'T
I have shot the 460S&W from the tripod it is a blast to shoot, OK so it is an 18 inch barrel with a break on it. But it is fun to shoot.
Old May 19, 2013, 12:37 AM   #20
BIG P

454 & 7MM08 in T/C-Come on funny feeling.
Old May 19, 2013, 03:33 AM   #21
Chowder

I have to say I am a bit jealous. My super black hawk .44 mag is my biggest hand cannon, and with my on again off again hand issues I don't shoot it much. I find out next week if I need my extensor tendon reconstructed in my right hand. If/when all is well and good I need to get a healthy dose of recoil .
Old May 19, 2013, 04:57 AM   #22
darkgael

Recoil?

The heaviest kicker by far - that I have shot - is my T/C Encore pistol with a 500 S&W barrel using Rick Gibson's 700 grain WFNGC bullets. I do not believe that those are available any longer.
More to the point....Gibson also made .452" WFNGC bullets at 535 grains for the .460. If you like heavy kickers......
Don't know if those are available nowadays. There are moulds for them. Maybe some one is making them.
Pete
Old May 19, 2013, 09:11 AM   #23
rclark

Well, you eventually will 'out-grow' it . At least I did . So don't worry! No need for a 12 step program yet...
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old May 19, 2013, 11:24 AM   #24
22-rimfire

Quote:
I actually felt a tingle go up my thigh.
You might not want that to get out. Sounds like you're already substituting the gun for your wife and trying to put her to work to pay for your new hobby.

I think you did really well on your first outing at 50 yds. I probably would not have advanced past 25 yds the first day. I'm still there with my 475/480 BFR, but that is another story. Been lazy about mounting the red dot that I have already received.

I haven't shot a X-frame 460 S&W. I have shot the X-frame 500 S&W and liked it a lot. But I was shooting the lower weight bullets and really didn't experience the recoil of the heavier bullets. Done enough shooting to know that the recoil will be more substantial.

I believe you will eventually buy a SA big boomer. My first was the SRH in 480 Ruger if you don't count 41 mag and 44 mag. I found that shooting more than about 20 rounds in a day resulted in much poorer accuracy on my part. But the BFR SA really is more pleasant to shoot. I didn't like the SA style either... but there is a reason why the big bore shooters generally have a preference for SA revolvers over DA.

I'm still learning. So I don't consider myself any kind of expert on the big bore revolvers (44 mag +) although I am pretty comfortable and long experienced with the 41 mag.

With practice, you'll be ready for deer hunting in Penn's woods. Handgun hunting for deer is both challenging and rewarding. It becomes more than just getting the deer or being successful. Tis one of the reasons I'm thinking about a cross bow since I really don't want to put the practice time in required to restart my archery hunting from years ago.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; May 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 19, 2013, 02:52 PM   #25
BOBA FETT

i was gonna get the 460 in the short 2 inch barrel version..now that would be quite a cannon...i do have a .480 ruger super redhawk and its a beast as well and an attention getter at the range..