The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Zudd

.25 NAA Guardian

I've been looking at the guardian pistols...the .25 NAA caliber really kinda intrigues me a little. They say it's ballistically similar to .32 ACP, but what's the advantage to it over the .32?

Or, does anybody have any opinions on the Guardians? Would I be better off just grabbing a Kel-Tec PF9 or Ruger LCP as small ccw pistols?

I have a NAA Black Widow, but I don't think I want it to be an everyday carry gun. I like the quality of the gun, but I want something with a little more oomph, and carrying my Glock 17 is just too much for an every day affair. Too heavy.
Old April 9, 2010, 04:19 PM   #2
twhidd

I believe I read somewhere that the ballistic expert Ed Sanow helped to develop these cartridges. It's my understanding that the 25 NAA was designed to pack a little extra punch than the 32ACP. Likewise the 32 NAA packs a little more punch and penetration than the 380. This would seem to be beneficial in a pocket pistol size gun. I would say the only downside would be finding ammo.

I've been wanting to get one of the 32 NAA barrels that I've seen out there for my Makarov.

Last edited by twhidd; April 9, 2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old April 9, 2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Zudd

That would be an interesting choice if you could get one for the makarov. The .32 NAA seems like a great idea, but from everything I've read about them, they are almost too much in a pocket gun in terms of recoil. Definitely a hand cannon from the sounds of it. The .25 NAA in terms of light recoil, smaller frame size than the .380 or .32 NAA makes it an interesting option. The lack of ammunition is a concern...even though it appears to be available through several web retailers, and NAA says they always have it available for order through them.

I'm relatively new to concealed carry, and it seems the longer I carry, the more I'm looking toward smaller and lighter guns. I just wonder if the .25 NAA packs sufficient punch to even really be a consideration though. I know .32 ACP has been a long standing choice for small concealable weapons, but it is still on the smaller side. I'm not a particular fan of .380 though..I've had several guns chambered in it, and even when ammo was cheap it seemed hard to find and relatively expensive. I've just never really been impressed with it. It would really be nice to see a Ruger LCP in something other than .380. I'd pick one up in a heartbeat then.

I used to be all about full size guns, and big nasty calibers, but when you're wearing what feels like a brick on your hip all day long, it gets real old, real fast. I suppose that's why all these mouseguns have been catching my eye. I love my black widow, it's tiny, shoots nicely, but really it's too underpowered for an every day carry gun. Better than nothing, or as a last ditch, but I just want something else. I guess the quality that I see in the little revolver makes me gravitate toward the guardian line. I've also had some trigger time on the pf9 and I can't say I'm too impressed with the quality. The one I shot, shot well, was reliable, and went bang every time, but it was just ugly. Good caliber, good gun, but something about it just made me not want to trust it completely.
Old April 9, 2010, 11:19 PM   #4
Jason_G

Those NAA calibers (just my humble opinion here) are nonsensical calibers. You'd be best to stick with .380 or bigger for carry, IMHO. More bullet mass = more momentum. Those necked down NAA rounds will make bigger energy numbers, which are next to meaningless in terms of effectiveness, but they draw customers. If you look at penetration numbers on brass fetcher for .380 vs .32 NAA, for example, you'll see better performance out of the .380 (at least the numbers I saw were this way, but there's tons of data on there).

IMHO, with those NAA calibers you get the smaller magazine capacity of the larger round, with the performance being somewhere in between the smaller round and the round of the parent case. Kind of a "lose-lose" proposition to me, but I'll admit I'm opinionated on the subject.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old April 10, 2010, 12:50 AM   #5
michael t

Ammo hard to fine and expensive 25NAA is on a 32 frame so get a 32 Same with the 32NAA uses the 380 frame so get the 380. My self The Guardian pistols weight to much and have a terrible trigger pull Get a KelTec or LCP less money less weight both have a lighter trigger pull. and 2/3 the money