The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 11, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1
indy245

Moose

I thought I would post a pic of a moose putting the run on my dogs this weekend. Kinda funny. Now what do I do to get rid of this moose? This is on my front deck. I like animals in my yard but this one is getting pretty agressive. SSS?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Haha2.jpg (219.4 KB, 123 views)
Old February 11, 2008, 11:48 AM   #2
davlandrum

I would think, based on your location, that contacting the Fish and Wildlife people might get you a legal permission to take care of the problem. Can't imagine they would go to the effort to re-locate it.

Can't condone SSS. Illegal is illegal, and if it comes out, you are on the hook. Down here, that would be grounds for the state taking all your guns, maybe your vehicle, and barring you from legally hunting forever.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 11, 2008, 12:00 PM   #3
indy245

I should not have included the SSS part, although if I were serious about doing that I would have never included that in my thread. Thank-you for reminding me that there are consequences to poaching.
Old February 11, 2008, 12:04 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I wonder what that moose would think of 3 bulldogs hanging off him to the tune of 250 pounds of won't let go? Plus a curr dog nipping nads and legs...
SSS don't count... SBF does.. stick em, butcher and freeze
My bull dogs even "catch" deer decoys and 3D targets...
Brent
Old February 11, 2008, 12:43 PM   #5
indy245

SBF does apply, If I were permitted to put it down it would go in the freezer.
I'm still waiting for a call from the local conservation officers.

I guess I need some bulldogs!

When we re-moved to the country we bought a chocolate lab for these purposes, mostly coyotes. It's funny the Jack Russell is ten times more aggressive, just their nature. I guess the lab picks her battles.
Old February 11, 2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Gbro

That was a very poor picture, Get out there and take some more!
I couldn't tell, but is this a young bull?

Maybe a bale of hay in the neighbors yard would help?
Old February 11, 2008, 01:38 PM   #7
indy245

You are right not the best picture, here is another one. Yes it's a young bull. He has been hanging around for the last two years in the yard. The lab is small about two feet at her highest point. Both pics were take from inside the door so it was taken through glass.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brave1.jpg (233.5 KB, 86 views)
Old February 11, 2008, 03:42 PM   #8
davlandrum

Hopefully they will let you SBF it. Not my most favorite critter to eat, but I got a lot of mouths to feed, so would be glad to have a freezer full!!

Good luck!!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old February 11, 2008, 04:49 PM   #9
GSoD

I would just start putting all my BBQ fixings out in the yard.

If he doesn't get the idea then I consider him fair game.
Old February 12, 2008, 01:46 AM   #10
stevelyn

Burn his arse with a load of #4 steel shot at about 35 yrds or so depending on barrel length and choke. With longer barrels and tighter chokes you'll want to let some velocity spill off and get a good pattern spread. If you have a shorter barrel such as an 18" with an open choke, 20-25 yrds is enough distance. Just make sure that when you shoot, their head is turned away.

We do it all the time to dumpster diving brown bears out here and they seem to get the message.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old February 12, 2008, 10:41 AM   #11
Nevertoomanyguns

I love Moose meat and looks to be a bull to me you can see where the antler were before he shed them. I would be supprised if they would let you shoot him though. At least in Maine I don't think they would. Only if is was farm land maybe but the moose looks to be grazing on wild brows and the dogs are runnig free, not that I'm against that I let my dog run free but I would Have them under control and put up if there was a Moose outside. We have Moose and Whitetail come into the yard here to some times. When I see them the dogs come in until they leave. They might though I have been wrong before. Let us know what they say. If they let you it looks to be that you will be eating good.

Actually here the Wardens might warn you about your dog herassing the wildlife here they actually have the right to shoot the dogs. Unless of course its on you land I think. My Grandfather many moons ago punched a Game warden because he was out rabbit hunting behind his house and some jerk neighbor said the dogs were running deer because he saw some deer come out of the woodline. The dogs were running a rabbit and bumped the deer out according to my grandpa because if they weren't he would of done something about it. Well my Grandpa goes home for lunch and a warden that use to be his friend with up until this point pulls into the drive way with my Grandfather's 3 beagles laid out on the tail gate. Well you can imagine how things went from there. This was back in the good ole days and they were friends until this point and maybe that is why my grandfather didn't get in trouble for punching him.
Old February 12, 2008, 12:16 PM   #12
indy245

It is my land so the dogs do whatever they want as long as they stay on the property. I'm keeping them in when the moose is in the yard. I'm not sure about the rules about dogs chasing game but I've never heard anything. The amount of game going through the yard is amazing. The total land is about 160 acres with 40 in bush. This morning an elk herd (approx 50 head) was eating a bail that couldnt get to in the fall. They are about three hundred yards from the house. The deer are always going through (whitetails and mulees). There were four moose standing on the road leaving the house. Never had a problem until now. I just got off the phone with the conservation guy. He said if the moose is a problem they will shoot him with rubber bullets. (lame) I guess at least they will try. I asked him what the rules are with moose and self defence, they want to deal with the problem, he wouldnt give me any kind of permission. I guess as long as he does what he says then I'm all good. I'm a little leary of getting charged by that moose as he seems to have a lame right rear leg, he couldnt stand or walk on it this morning.

By the way I also am a big fan of moose meat.
Old February 12, 2008, 03:41 PM   #13
Gbro

With critters like that around you, your freezer should be full.
OR
You can use him like they do in Main
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=3371