The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 25, 1999, 11:11 PM   #1
Drew

Hello everyone,

My future brother-in-law told me that he reloaded a .38 case with the same amount of powder that a .357 Mag. case holds and I told him he was full of it. Although I don't know much about these two cartridges, it would seem that since the .357 has a longer case, this would not be possible. Am I wrong?

Also, I've been dropping hints to my soon to be wife that I would like some dies for Christmas. My other question is:

Which would be best to start reloading from...the 9mm Parabellum, .45 ACP, or .40 S&W?

Thanx.
Old November 26, 1999, 01:39 AM   #2
Robert the41MagFan

Drew,

Absolute max pressure for a 38 Special load is 18,000 psi. For 357 Magnum, maximum pressure is 40,000 psi. Have been married now for over 16 years and I have excellent advice for you. Never, and I mean never, take advice on anything from an in-law.

As for dies, number one thing, get carbide dies. For brands, the cheapest you can find. Lee or RCBS are good.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited November 26, 1999).]
Old November 26, 1999, 03:35 AM   #3
bruels

It is possible to put a .357 Magnum powder charge in a .38 Special case. It depends on what powder you are using. In any event, it is not a very smart thing to do. You may end up damaging a very nice .38 Special pistol.
Old November 26, 1999, 09:56 PM   #4
Fred

Drew,

The 9 or 45 ACP would be good rounds to start reloading. I personally prefer the 45 - easy to handle cases and bullets, low pressures, and big, fat holes in targets!

------------------
Regards - AZFred

Old November 26, 1999, 11:47 PM   #5
WalterGAII

I'm with Fred on the .45, for all the reasons that he mentions.
Old November 29, 1999, 02:21 PM   #6
sundog

i'm with fred and walter. go with the .45. the 9mm is one of the more difficult catridges to load. wait until you have a little experience before you do the 9 thing. the .45 is much more user friendly, and like was pointed out - makes BIG holes in targets!

------------------
safety first
Old November 30, 1999, 08:10 AM   #7
Bianchi

While I agree the 45 is easier to load as far as handling the brass and bullets go. Your more likely to double charge a larger case than a smaller one. I started loading a 9mm and if you double charge it you'll know. Whatever you start with go slow. If your using a progresive, stop between each Die and look at what you just did to the case. Once you get comfortable you can speed up.
Lou
Old November 30, 1999, 06:12 PM   #8
Big Bunny

The S&W.38Spl is 0.01" shorter than the 357 to stop fools putting a factory S&W.357 into a weaker chamber,but not vice-versa 38 fired in a 357, of course, that is usually OK!
Anyone who handloads against this safeguard is letting down shooters and shooting worldwide. In fact a world class IDIOT, please talk to your dealer or go and join a club.

------------------
***Big Bunny***