The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 23, 2005, 01:44 AM   #1
CyberSEAL

My Fave Carry Piece

Just wondering if anyone else has ever carried a Firestar? I have several, in 9mm and .40. They are very easily concealed, reliable and accurate. I absolutely love them and think they are one of the best concealable auto's you can get:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg113-e.htm
Old July 23, 2005, 04:57 AM   #2
blackmind

I don't mean to belittle your choice, and I hope the gun serves you reliably and accurately. Long may you enjoy it and be able to trust it.

But I have never quite understood why people went for ... well, "off-brand" guns. I just find it much easier to TRUST a gun like a Glock or an HK, which I have so much more reason to believe (and to know) have been rigorously tested, and battle-proven.

I don't see how the Firestar could be any more concealable, reliable or accurate than the Glock or the HK.

-blackmind
Old July 23, 2005, 06:02 AM   #3
AK103K

I've owned a couple of Star's, including the M43 Firestar. Star pistols are robust, well made and mine were always reliable, something I cant say for one of my Glocks and a few other "brand" name pistols I've owned. My Firestar was accurate and very easy to shoot well, especially when you consider its a 9mm in a PPK/S sized package. I would not feel the least bit disadvantaged carrying one, especially over a Glock that wont shoot when you pull the trigger or a fancy Springfield that wont feed hardball.
Old July 23, 2005, 06:29 AM   #4
CyberSEAL

I own glocks, sigs, an FN 5.7, a few S&W's and I can tell you that I have not ever found a carry piece as comfortable as the Firestar. Anyone who has never played with one should pop off a few rounds before dismissing it, feels great in the hand. I do plan on getting a SW PD4040 in the near future, not as small as the Firestar but weighs less and probably conceals real well.
Old July 23, 2005, 10:41 AM   #5
USP45usp

My Star is over 60 years old and even with having the barrel cleaned (the ammo back then was corrosive) and it having a few pits of rust that were cleaned, it still functions great, is accurate (hits about .7mm from point of aim when bench tested), and fires a 9mm Largo (like a .38 super but not as robust).

You could tell that the police officer or soldier that had it didn't clean it, take care of it, and abused it yet even after all that, with some clean up it works great and I have about 200rds through it right now (would have more if the ammo wasn't so expensive).

So, if they still make them with the same quality as they did with the older models, I would trust the gun in a heartbeat .

Wayne
Old July 23, 2005, 11:55 AM   #6
michael t

I had a Firestar in 40 and traded it. NOT because of pistol but because I didn't like the 40 cal. It s a fine little pistol and they carry great. I just want it in 45, thats all. Found a 45 firestar fingerrest mag in mag box at pawn shop couple days ago might be a sign from the pistol Gods.
Old July 23, 2005, 01:43 PM   #7
AttackTurtle

Quote:
But I have never quite understood why people went for ... well, "off-brand" guns. I just find it much easier to TRUST a gun like a Glock or an HK, which I have so much more reason to believe (and to know) have been rigorously tested, and battle-proven.
They are off brands to us but only because we dont recognize them. There are a lot of brands all over the world that are just as good as glock, sig and HK. I think that the bigger brands get more attention because they are older or have had or have military contracts now or in the past. This itself is no reason to discredit a brand you dont know well. Its nice to be able to do you homework on something like a CZ and not only spend less money for your time but also be rewarded with a gun just as reliable as the well known brands. Free market rules

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET
Old July 24, 2005, 06:12 AM   #8
10mm Bob

I also don't buy the "name brand only" snobbery. Do the research before buying. Yes, Glock was unknown not all that long ago.

I used to carry a Firestar .40. but it gave me a whole lot of malfunctions when I was taking the Farnam basic pistol course. I finished out the course with a 10mm Megastar. Never did figure out the problem with the Firestar and sold it. Too bad, it was a nice carry gun but for the reliability lack mine had. Yours may well be better.

I now carry an EAA Witness Compact in 10mm.
Old July 24, 2005, 09:16 PM   #9
gnappi

Firestar

I also used to carry a Firestar in .40, but when the Witness compact came out, I started to carry that. Unfortunately, the really acidic nature of my skin made the Firestar and Witness look like a POS and went back to my Stainless carry guns S&W's 1076, and 4026.

I always wished that Star would have made a Stainless Firestar in 10... Their Megastar was overbuilt by a factor of THREE. But they're all well made and have always worked flawlessly for me... Oh, I also do not buy the "Brand Name" silliness.

Regards,

Gary
Old July 25, 2005, 03:51 AM   #10
10mm Bob

I should add that a respected brand name is a very good indicator of a quality firearm, but that quality firearms can be found in lesser names as well.
There are well-known exceptions to this "rule".