The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2013, 05:58 PM   #1
1Victor30

Hi Skor 700x with 9mm FMJ

A friend gave me some Hi Skor 700x powder. Can't seem to find any data to use with that and the bullets I have. I have Winchester 115 gr FMJ Hollow Base, Berrys 115 gr Round Nose, and Montana Gold 115 gr FMJ. What I find is mostly for Hollow points or lighter bullets. New to reloading so don't want to make any unnecessary mistakes. Is there a happy medium out there? Even the Lyman 49th Edition didn't help. Have also heard that this powder does not meter well in powder measures. I have a Dillon Square Deal B and would hate to have to hand measure each load. Kind of defeat the purpose of the progressive press.

Old September 19, 2013, 07:11 PM   #2
oley55

my Lyman 46th edition also shows data for the 115 grain lead alloy #2. that should help with the Berry's plated bullets:

115 grain lead bullet tested with Winchester cases and primers
700X start 3.7gr vel 1045 pres 25,200, max 4.4gr vel 1160 pres 32,500

Last edited by oley55; September 19, 2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old September 19, 2013, 07:22 PM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

One of my presses is a SD. I have tried 700X in the past. It doesn't make very consistent drops with mine and since the 550b has pretty much the same powder measure it didn't work well with it either. Variations of .3 grains plus or minus were common. I had to weigh each load to get reasonable results. Spear 14 does list some data. With a MG 115 grain bullet you can use 1.125" OAL for the jacketed bullet or 1.135" for FMJ. Load data is 4.0 min and 4.4 max. Since the spread is so small you can see why I would only use this powder if measured for each load. Ball powders work much better with the Dillon powder measures.
Old September 19, 2013, 10:58 PM   #4
1Victor30

I figured the ball powders would work better. I also have some Bullseye that I will use first. The 700x was given to me and I did fire some rounds he loaded with it. When I get to the 700x, I will probably measure each load. With powder so hard to get, I will take pretty much anything that works. Never in a hurry when I reload, so if I have to measure each load, so be it. I am retired with lots of time. Hopefully this powder crunch will end some day.

Old September 20, 2013, 03:05 AM   #5

Ball powders are a good bit denser than flake and combined with the smaller physical size of the grains where some ball powders are tiny, it's not hard to understand why they meter better. It's still a relatively undiscovered powder, but Ramshot True Blue is exceptional and meters like hourglass sand while providing very stable pressure and uniform ballistic characteristics. There are a number of different ball powders you could use, but few that will do better from light loads to full power 9mm than True Blue. Strictly for sefense loads, I use Silhouette because it has a flash inhibitor and is capable of very high performance where I load it at +P. ZIP is good for light to medium loads. www.ramshot.com has plenty of jacketed, cast and plated bullet data.

If you plan to go ahead and use the 700-X you have in hand, you can use Lyman's data for the 115 gr. XTP for loading the FMJ and I'd recommend a longer OACL. For plated bullets, use the cast lead bullet data. 700-X is used for every 9mm load in my Pistol & Revolver III and the 49th edition data should be identical.
Old September 20, 2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Gdawgs

I know why someone gave it to you. I gave away a couple cans of it to my neighbor a couple years ago. Your name isn't James is it?

57K. Thanks for the info on the True Blue. I bought some of that to try in my 327 and I've found it to be extremely inconsistent with that cartridge. I also loaded some up in 357 and saw the same thing there. I'll have to give it a try in 9mm. I do love the way it meters.
Old September 20, 2013, 04:52 PM   #7

Gdawgs, I don't load the .327, but I wouldn't give up on True Blue until you're working toward the top end of its load range. I use it as a short barrel powder for .357 Magnum and there is good data at www.ramshot.com. Specifically, I worked up a load for a 2 3/4" barreled Speed-Six. With the Remington 125 gr. SJHP loaded at 1.583" with 10.1 grs. of True Blue, average velocity is 1278 FPS with an SD of 13. Pretty sure that I could get the SD under 10, but this load is very accurate in my S-6 while still being fairly comfortable for DA shooting. I've made very accurate loads in 9mm and the .40 S&W. On Wednesday, I tried a new .45 ACP handload using a 200 gr. Cast lead RNFP loaded to 1.210" over 7.7 grs. of True Blue with a CCI-300 in assorted cases. It was exceptionally accurate in my SR45 and chrono'd 891 FPS.

Another thing that might be worth trying with your .327 is a good cast lead bullet that's at least .001" greater in diameter than the groove diameter of your barrel. As far as jacketed bullets, I think you're gonna need to be at mid level or higher from your load data. In 9mm, you can load from relatively mild to as fast as anything you can buy from the factory. Fact is, many IPSC shooters that load and shoot 9mm Major, use True Blue to do it. It is very pressure stable as all powders must be to load 9mm Major where only 4 or 5 powders are commonly used. So, if the pressure rating is fairly high for a Max. load in .327 Magnum, I wouldn't be too concerned because I know how pressure stable True Blue is. Actually, the only .327 data I have is Ramshot's but it's typically good data as far as Magnum revolver loads go.
Old September 20, 2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Per: Old DuPont Handloader's Guide. issued 5/1983

9MM Luger.

Rem case (nf) / Rem primer 1-1/2 / Rem-115gr.H.P. / Oal. 1.110
w/4" pistol barrel use.
Hi Skor 700x __4.7 Grains (Max.)
1130 FPS / 32600 Cup.

There you go 1Victor30. An honest to Goodness Du Pont powder listing for Hi Skor 700X.
Old September 20, 2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Misssissippi Dave

W231/HP38 (same powder) will work well in 9 mm loads with lead, plated or jacketed bullets. I like AA5 with 124 grain Jacketed bullets. Silhouette works well with 9 mm and .40 if you use mid-range to upper levels with jacketed bullets. I have tried AA2 with light bullets and it made a fair load. WSF works for mid-range to upper levels. With 115 grain bullets I like WST powder. You will be hard pressed to find load data for it. It also fills the case a lot and the SD press with auto indexing probably will spill powder if you were to use WST. There are other powders you could use as well. The ones I have mentioned all measure well with the Dillon powder measures.
Old September 20, 2013, 08:42 PM   #10
1Victor30

I made up some loads to try out. Did 10 each using the Bullseye powder I have.

Winchester 115 gr FMJ Hollow base-Winchester Primers-Winchester brass

4gr--4.2gr--4.5gr-5gr

These are all loads I saw in various manuals. Will see what happens. The 700x can wait for another time.
Old September 21, 2013, 10:23 AM   #11
1Victor30

Think I am going to drop the 5gr loads. After more reading, that seems to be pretty close to the max load. Very new at reloading, so am nervous about making a serious error.

Old September 21, 2013, 10:54 AM   #12
Misssissippi Dave

Most modern 9 mm pistols are able to shoot +P loads. They do add wear to the gun more than standard loads will. So long as you are using consistent amounts of powder you can load to max levels. Max levels are best done with jacketed bullets. You shouldn't have to worry about exceeding the max speed for the bullet in pistol calibers with jacketed bullets. Personally I find mid-range to upper mid-range loads often are more accurate in my pistols. I do suggest using a rest or sandbags to help keep you steady when checking for accuracy. When shooting off hand I have both good and bad days even with the same ammo.

If you are near max levels and you are getting good accuracy, might be something to stay with. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve. Paper targets don't get bigger or better holes in them if the bullet is moving 800 fps or 1200 fps. Steel targets fall just fine with either too. Being able to hit what you aim at is the thing to try to reach in target ammo. With semi-auto pistols you also need to make sure they cycle the action as well.
Old September 21, 2013, 11:06 AM   #13
1Victor30

Really just want loads for plinking. Not into competition. The loads I did were hand loaded as far as powder. Wanted to make sure they were the same until I find what load works for me. I have a Dillon Square Deal B press and load for a Springfield Arms XD-9. I have used some reloads from the range I go to and they work well in my XD. They use 4.2 grains of powder. Not sure what brand. The bullets are TMJ.
Old September 23, 2013, 05:32 PM   #14
dwhite

I've burned a lot of 700X. Good powder for light to medium range loads.

If your powder drop doesn't do it for you, make a dipper for the charge you
need. Dipping made powder charges a lot more consistent. Dipping prevents
double charges too, for the most part.

I've used it primarily for range loads with lead bullets. It worked well
and was fairly clean burning.

All the Best,
D. White