The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 1, 2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Leadbelcher

Stoeger SxS cocking issues

Hi folks--
A week or so ago i wrote about dinging my new Uplander SxS and your comments were timely and apprieciated. Now I have another question...

I took my gun to the skeet range today (1st time shooting skeet in 20+years...need practice ). I used WW game loads for the first round, (12ga, 2 3/4", 1 oz of 7 1/2 shot). For the entire 25 rounds, opening the gun and cocking it was very difficult. It did not want to open--I could open it part way, then force the cocking mechanism to work. The force I used was arm stength, using the long barrels as the lever by pressing from the top forward of the forearm.
For the 2ad round, I used lighter Remington skeet loads, and the action worked perfectly, easy peasy.
Any idea what happened? Why was it so hard to cock then go back to normal? Do you think I have this to look forward to again when I use the game loads?
I really like the gun...

LB
Old August 1, 2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Lavid2002

try it again with the hard loads...you said the gun hadn't been used in 20 yrs
Old August 1, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Leadbelcher

No no--
I havent shot skeet in 20--the SxS is brand new--took delivery a few weeks ago.
I will shoot the heavier loads again for sure, tho--maybe tomorrow--
still--fretful...

LB

Last edited by Leadbelcher; August 1, 2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Typing errors...bleh!