The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 14, 2008, 06:52 PM   #1
samco

Black powder Rules

Hi All:

I would like to know the rules concerning carrying a BP revolver in My truck. Considering a person does't have to buy them from a FFL dealer and I don't think I have to register it can I keep it in my truck. Un loaded of course,or maybe not just leave off caps? I drive by a range about four days a week and never know when I may have time to stop.Here is another rub,California. Thanks

Samco
Old May 14, 2008, 07:01 PM   #2
Hawg

I don't know anything about California law but generally speaking a bp revolver is considered unloaded if it's not capped.
Old May 14, 2008, 07:37 PM   #3
hillbille

considering the time it takes to load it, a baseball bat would be just as effective, why take a chance on damaging a good gun on a hard head?
Old May 14, 2008, 08:40 PM   #4
Meatco1

As a resident of Kalifornia also, I can tell you not to carry it anywhere in the vehicle where it is accesible to either you, or a passenger. Carrying in the trunk is one option, but it better be unloaded even there! If you own a pick up, to be sure of no hassle, you almost have to disassembled it to be sure.

While it may be legal to transport a unloaded weapon, the LEO here aren't exactly on our side! And, there are a lot of firearm laws you might not be aware of that can, and will be used against you.

Richard
Old May 14, 2008, 08:50 PM   #5
mykeal

The only advice you can count on from the internet regarding firearms laws is to contact your local police department.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:26 AM   #6
Don H

Quote:
The only advice you can count on from the internet regarding firearms laws is to contact your local police department.
Sorry, but in my experience the local PD is likely to be wrong in the advice given re: firearms/weapons and if it is wrong, guess who pays the price.
Old May 15, 2008, 06:31 AM   #7
mykeal

Quote:
Sorry, but in my experience the local PD is likely to be wrong in the advice given re: firearms/weapons and if it is wrong, guess who pays the price.
Unless you've personally had a few hundred thousand such experiences, I suggest you are making an unwarranted generalization.
Old May 15, 2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Don H

One merely has to read this forum to find a number instances of where police have misinterpreted the laws regarding open and/or concealed carry.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:01 PM   #9
mykeal

Quote:
One merely has to read this forum to find a number instances of where police have misinterpreted the laws regarding open and/or concealed carry.
Well, one also has to have an unwavering faith in the veracity of medium that has continually proven to be undeserving.

I stand by my previous statement: the generalization is, like virtually all such sweeping statements, unwarranted. The literally tens of millions of police/civilian encounters regarding firearms law that occur annually, and are not posted on this or other internet forums far, far outweigh the few mistakes made by some admittedly below average LEO's, or the either incomplete or intentionally misstated postings of a few people dealing with authority figure disorders.
Old May 15, 2008, 08:35 PM   #10
arcticap

There's usually several different law enforcement agencies that can be contacted to double check on each other's opinions & advice.
There's local, county & state. There might even be a separate office for pistol licensing that can shed some light even further.
Then there are state gun organizations that have members and staff more familiar with the intricacies of their state's gun laws.
Lastly there are firearms lawyers. It's always better to check and double check about grey legal areas before any possibility of arrest rather than after it becomes too late.

Last edited by arcticap; May 16, 2008 at 12:40 PM.
Old May 16, 2008, 12:23 PM   #11
Pahoo

I have usually find out that the local DNR guys are up on this subject. In our state and possibly more, the M/L is considered unloaded if it is not primed. However, Any and all firearms can only be transported in a secured case and not readily accessable to the driver and/or persons. Or, broken down into three pieces. So if a hunter or shooter gets separated from his case, he has to disassemble the firearm in order to transport it. Contact one of your local DNR guys as well as local police and see what they say. Note that the above scenario will not cover all states or situations.

Be Safe !!!
Old May 16, 2008, 03:26 PM   #12
rem870hunter

in NJ you have to get a pistol purchasing permit to buy even a muzzleloading pistol. as far as transporting a firearm of any type.

it has to be unloaded and secured in such a way that its not easily accessible to the driver and possibly passengers.

the D of F&W here in NJ considers a muzzleloader unloaded when in the case of a percussion cap/primer ignition the cap/primer removed,in the case of a flintlock the priming powder removed from the pan and a non metallic cover put on the frizzen. you can't hunt with pistol modern or muzzleloading in NJ. bt you can own and possess them. i don't have any muzzleloading pistols but i am very interested in getting atleast 1. i have a few rifles. and they are a hoot to shoot.
Old May 16, 2008, 10:15 PM   #13
scrat

a good forum to check on California laws is calguns.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/index.php