The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2012, 06:36 PM   #1
JohnMoses

It's about over

I went to the local Hyundai dealer to pick up my bucket of wheel weights... 14 lbs lead, 34 zinc & steel. Thats less than 1/2 gallon bucket of lead, 2 buckets scrap.
Old June 9, 2012, 07:08 PM   #2
David Bachelder

The tire shops will not give or sell you wheel weights around here. Wheel weights are pretty much a thing of the past.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:15 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I am guessing this is an area specific thing. I picked up a bucket of weights a couple of weeks ago. I netted quite a bit of lead out of it. There was less than a hand full of zinc, though there were quite a few steel weights in the mix. I got way more than my $20 worth out of it.
Old June 9, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4
FrankenMauser

There are still plenty of lead alloys available from other sources. (My primary sources will be a plumbing supply company {pure lead} and a metal recycler {other alloys}, in the very near future.)

But wheel weights are definitely harder to get.
As I've detailed before in this forum, I can't even find a tire shop that sells theirs (to anyone) any more. They're all locked into recycling contracts by their WW suppliers. The only WWs I've ever been able to get my hands on were a coffee can full from when my grandfather used to walk several miles a day, and picked them up on the road; and a few WWs from some wheels that were being scrapped.

All of my "Wheel Weight" ingots were alloyed from pure lead, linotype, and tin solder.
Old June 11, 2012, 11:48 PM   #5
grubbylabs

I am lucky, I came across a member of the casting forum and he has several 55 gal drums filled with them. He gave me my last 5 gal bucket full of them and I have yet to process them but they are due soon. He told me that I could have what I could use of them from his drums and not to go buy from any one else. But I may be moving from the area and at that point I am not sure what I will do. Probably hit the recyclers.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)