The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2007, 12:17 PM   #26
DMZX

SL1,

Very interesting!!!

Your explanation makes a lot of sense and probably solves something that has vexed me for over 20 years. You are correct in that Speer #14 list a max load of 13.7 gr of Blue Dot for a 240 gr jacketed bullet.

Back then I was using my .44 Mag Dragoon for deer hunting (muleys) and I really liked using a JSWC for that. I built some great loads using that bullet using 4227 and 2400 and experienced no problems whatsoever.

Maybe I will buy a pound of Blue Dot and try it in my .357 using Speer #14.

Thanks for the enlightening post!

DMZX

BTW, I still use Speer #10 but only as a guide for low pressure target loads I can not find anywhere else, e.g. loads for BBLWC and even roundballs.
Old November 9, 2007, 07:23 PM   #27
BigJimP

I use Hodgdon TiteGroup - its a good powder in .44 mag
Old November 9, 2007, 07:59 PM   #28
[email protected]

i have lots of data for blue dot in .357 if anyone wants it
Old November 10, 2007, 12:59 AM   #29
gandog56

Quote:
no giant fireball out the muzzle
But I LIKE big fireballs out of the muzzle.
Old November 10, 2007, 01:21 AM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

Yeah. He calls himself "Scorch", but doesn't like fireballs??????

Seriously, though, the Speer Manual does have some hot stuff. It is a good reason for the old rule to check at least 3 sources and start with the lowest starting load listed among the three and work up from there.

H110 and 296 are the same powder, made by St. Marks. Hodgdon started marketing it first, and Winchester picked up on it. It has the problem that it is hard to ignite, so it only works well in full loads. Lighter loads can squib out when the bullet base jumps the barrel/cylinder gap of a revolver, leaving a bullet stuck in the barrel. The fact it is hard to light also makes it sensitive to its position in the case if you leave much empty room there.

The big plus side is high velocity for the least chamber pressure. Full-house load performance with 10-20% less pressure than many other powders need to get there. Running powders in QuickLOAD for the 240 grain Speer JHP, H110/296 always gets the top velocity for a given chamber peak pressure anywhere in the range of 25KPSI to 36KPSI. The other powders change rank, but 296 remains top dog in all the calculations in that range. Blue Dot comes within spitting distance at the higher pressures, but Accurate's Solo 4100 always beats it slightly, and burns rather cleaner and lights more consistently, IIRC.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle