The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 2, 1999, 10:51 AM   #1
J.P. Gonzalez

I have a project 1991 Commander 45ACP, I have been upgrading it slowly, trigger, safety, grip safety. I think the accracy mediocre, the barrel bushing has .004 clearance to the barrel, and .005 clearance to the slide. The headspace extenstion has .010 on each side and .020 on the length.

Options:
1. tighter bushing, and group gripper with stock barrel.
2. Replacement barrel, bushing, and link. I would like to fit my barrel without having to cut the bottom lugs. I haven't heard much about drop in barrels or prefit barrels - minor fitting
3. Other suggestions

The Sweeney gunsmithing book shows how to fit a Kart barrel but I haven't seen any listings for availability or price.

Thanks J.P. Gonzalez
Old July 2, 1999, 04:47 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

JP, unless you are a really excellent off-hand shooter or your barrel is completely worn out, it isn't going to help much to replace it with a drop-in "one-size-fits-all" barrel. By that I mean an average shooter won't see a big difference in accuracy between a stock barrel and a drop-in match grade barrel except from a very solid or machine rest. And even then I would be very surprised to see a vast improvement. What I recommend almost daily to my customers is putting the money for a match grade barrel into a properly fitted bushing, group gripper, sights and trigger work. I like to use the WCPI angle bored bushing. The only drawback being that it has to be reamed to size with an adjustable reamer. Another great bushing is the Briley. You can match the inner rings to the size you need for your barrel. About 15 years ago I tried my first group gripper and it alone cut a 5" 25yd group to 3". Good sights and a good trigger pull are a must. I shot a 1911 .38Super yesterday and it was taking so long to pull the trigger that I at first thought the gun was malfunctioning. And the issue sights made me feel like I was bore sighting. I guess I'm spoiled. George
Old July 2, 1999, 05:12 PM   #3
JerryM

J.P.. Several months ago I read an article in one of the major gun magazines regarding a test of .45 acp barrels. I remember that it was conducted by someone that makes barrels, I think it may have been Ed Brown but not sure. He tested pretty much all brands and even one or more GI issue barrels. In the end he concluded that there was little difference in accuracy between any of them. One of the GI barrels mfg by High Std (I think) was in the top 3 or 4 as far as accuracy was concerned. Although I would defer to George, I would have to say that you would be better off putting time and money in fitting and things George has suggested. Maybe I can find the magazine and if so will get back in the next couple of days. Jerry
Old July 4, 1999, 12:07 PM   #4
J.P. Gonzalez

Thanks for the replies, I saw the Am. Handgunner article by Petty. I think I'll try the tighter bushning and group gripper. Thanks again J.P. Gonzalez