The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 24, 2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Thunder Struck

9mm with light recoil/triggers

I have another thread about me buying my first handgun. To get more on point I am looking for the following in a 9mm:

1. Around $350
2. Light recoil
3. Light trigger pull

Is my understanding correct in that a CCW will have a lot more recoil than a standard sized gun?
Old October 24, 2012, 07:36 PM   #2
myshoulderissore

I would look into the Caracal models if they can be found in that range, used Glocks, Ruger SR9/SR9c, and the Sig SP2022...

The Sig has a heavy FIRST pull, so it may not fit your needs, but after the initial shot single action is great. I'm not a huge fan of the Ruger SR9/c, but not for any good reason, fine pistol, I just don't like it. The Glocks are time tested, proven performers, and a used one will have an even better trigger than a new one. Caracal comes recommended by way too many knowledgeable people to overlook, I'm Caracal-curious...
Old October 24, 2012, 08:10 PM   #3
power5

PX4 has soft recoil. No idea on the trigger though. They do offer a constant action. For your price range though you will need to find a used one.

The smaller the gun, the more recoil. Light small cheap low recoil is a .22. Walther p22. Dont think you can get a P22 with the QA trigger though. That is the very light action trigger on the P99
Old October 24, 2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Cliff.J.

Glock...

...17 Gen 4 - just shot one the other day - beautiful handgun, but it's more than you want to spend. Perhaps you should save a bit more or have a garage sale and go first class.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:03 PM   #5
BGutzman

I would never recommend a Glock due to my own personal taste however I particularly would not recommend a Glock for pistol for someone just beginning... Others here who own and love glocks can give you a better idea why but as I understand it rightly or wrongly it isnt as foregiving as some other pistols when it comes to safety...

If Im wrong a million flames will be upon me shortly... I am not telling you this in malice toward the brand.....
Old October 24, 2012, 09:09 PM   #6
chris in va

I have to agree somewhat about Glock not being the best 'first' gun, as beginners tend to keep their finger on the trigger. However, a used G19 would certainly fit all the criteria you're looking for. Low recoil, consistent trigger pull, around $400.

I keep hearing good reports about the Caracal, and they can certainly be had for under $400.
Old October 24, 2012, 10:02 PM   #7
RBid

Caracal C or Ruger SR9c are soft shooting/light recoil 9mms in that price range, and they have better triggers than most other polymer framed & striker fired pistols.
Old October 24, 2012, 10:13 PM   #8
Thunder Struck

Hey guys,

Where do you find these guns you mentioned for around that $350 range? I look online and none are even close.
Old October 24, 2012, 10:59 PM   #9
carguychris

Bud's Gun Shop has the SR9 priced right around $400, although it will run you slightly more once you factor in the transfer.

The problem you will encounter is that very few new full-size 9mm pistols are available for only $350. Your choices are basically a Ruger P95, an Arcus 98DA or 98DAC, or maybe a Stoeger Cougar. However, if you up the price to ~$400, your choices expand drastically.

The first post says "around $350"- define "around".

It would also be VERY helpful to know...
  • Is a DA/SA pistol with a long and heavy first-round trigger pull acceptable?
  • Is a used pistol acceptable?
Old October 25, 2012, 08:59 PM   #10
erob3

If your definition of a CCW is a smaller sized 9mm you are absolutely correct that it will have more recoil and snap. The smaller the pistol, the more the recoil.

As to your criteria for a pistol, for the price point your looking at the first 2 pistols that come to my mind are either a Ruger P89 or a Rock Island 1911 Tactical. Both are 9mm and both are very good pistols in their own class. The best trigger you will find is in a 1911 style pistol, bar none. The Ruger
P89 has some take up before the trigger engages but after that the pull is nice and the recoil is as light as you will find. The Ruger is a double stack magazine so the handle is a little bit larger, the Rock Island is a single stack like most every 1911 so the grip will be smaller. I currently own a Rock Island just as described above, I owned a Ruger P89 for 20 years. The Ruger never failed to shoot anything I put thru it, my Rock Island has been just as dependable. The Ruger can only be found used as the P89 is no longer made, with that said, they are readily available and used ones in very good condition can be found for your price point or less. The Rock Island runs around $420, after shipping and FFL you are probably looking at an approximate total of $475. You may be able to find one used if you look hard. One last item, the Ruger P89 is both is a DA/SA. A 1911 is SA only. From what I understand both companies have very good customer service, fortunately I cannot comment on that from first hand experience. I hope that helps. Good Luck.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:05 PM   #11
Thunder Struck

Thanks again for all the great information!
Old October 28, 2012, 01:45 AM   #12
Erikbal

I have an SR9C and am very pleased with it. Locally they sell for around $400 plus tax so for a little more cash than you mentioned you could get one.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old October 28, 2012, 07:48 AM   #13
wpsdlrg

For light recoil.....and meeting your other criteria....I would say a Stoeger 8000 (Cougar). An all-metal gun (32 oz.for the Compact version, a bit more for the full size, not including ammo) - the weight reduces recoil greatly. The rotary barrel soaks up some recoil as well and reduces muzzle flip. The trigger is not bad at all in DA , but very nice in SA. These can be had for between $350 and $400 (I paid $379 for mine).

As for one with a light trigger all 'round (of the ones I've tried and like myself)....I'd say the Sig Sauer P250. It has about the lightest, most consistent trigger you'll find, other than a SAO (like a good 1911). It is DAO though, the trigger pull and reset are long, so it does take a bit of getting used to. (For a first gun, though, this should not be a problem, as you probably won't have a lot of habits to unlearn.) Recoil is not bad (though greater than the Stoeger)...and the gun can be had for between $350 and $400. It is also very reliable and easy to maintain.

For a first gun, I would skip the sub-compact or pocket-gun class. These would be much harder to learn to shoot (and would recoil much more).
Old October 28, 2012, 09:53 AM   #14
afone1

This is the best quality and price in a 9 mil cc:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504837