The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2009, 09:34 AM   #26
SL1

There were also some VERY questionable loads published back then.

I have an old Lyman manual titled "44th Edition" and copyrighted 1967. It has normal-looking loads for most powders, but lists a "factory duplication load" with Herco powder for a 158 gr lead bullet with gas check in the .357 Magnum that is SCARY! I won't print the load here, because it gives me 79,000 psi in QuickLOAD. (And, that is with QuickLOAD settings that give me 33,800 psi with the old load of 16.7 grains of WW-296 with the Hornady 158 gr XTP HP.)

That was the first manual I ever bought, and that is the hotest load in that manual for the first cartridge I ever loaded. I'm really glad that I did not start out trying for the hotest handloads, before I learned better than to trust all loads in all manuals.

But, Lyman techs shot those loads through a Smith & Wesson Model 27. And, I suspect that others used them, too. So, this gives you some idea of what the hottest loads in the .357 magnum might have been in the early days. And, these loads are from long after the switch from large to small pistol primers in the .357 Magnum.

SL1
Old March 12, 2009, 12:41 AM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Yup. They were remarkably lacking in care back then. I wondered if the poster was remembering Blue Dot instead of Unique. That would be OK pressure-wise, but the burning would be very dirty and inefficient.

The other thought was that he remembered .45 ACP when .45 LC was the actual chambering. A modern revolver might handle that, though it would still be way above SAAMI standards.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle