The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 28, 2012, 10:18 PM   #1
alsaleen

Help? Stumped Ruger 10/22 jam

I will start by explaining the problem.
Last weekend I took my 10/22 with ATI stock and 25rd mags to the range, IT would fire fine but every now and then it started jamming while extracting the spent casing. The gun reloads the new round but the old casing never made it out of the chamber. Also if I were to pull the bolt back jut enough to clear the spent casing it wouldn't fire because the hammer hadn't been reset.

So I stripped it completely cleaned everything and reassembled it as I normally do when i run a couple hundred rounds through it. The only odd thing I noticed was there are a few marks just above where the old casing's are ejected out of the gun. (the marks are on the inside of the action on top where the bolt moves, just above the hole where the rounds are ejected during operation.

The springs and everything feel fine I just shot it again today and its doing the same thing only a little bit more frequently (every couple rounds, sometimes a few in a row). I wanted to say it was the extractor or ejector, but this doesnt explain the bolt not moving all the way back and resetting the hammer.

Any Ideas I'm stumped, I'm not a gunsmith or expert but I'd like to think I'm fairly mechanical.

Oh also I've tried several type of ammo, both high velocity and standard including CCI, Federal, Winchester and Blazer. All operated wit the same results.

Last edited by alsaleen; November 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old November 28, 2012, 10:42 PM   #2
Mike38

Same thing happened to mine. Replaced the extractor and quit using bulk pack Federal ammo and shoot CCI mini mag exclusively now. Matter of fact, last Sunday I shot 200 rounds without periodic cleaning or oiling like I had to do before. Not a hic-up one in 200 rounds.
Old November 28, 2012, 11:04 PM   #3
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Have you tried the factory 10 round mags?

I ask because I have one Ruger BX-25 that makes one of my 10 22s into a single shot more times than not; strangely it does not do this with my other 10 22s. I can use my other BX-25 mags, steel lips, and factory 10 rounders with zero problems in all of my 10 22s.

I have also replaced the factory extractor, this eliminated ftes in my 10 22s; in mine the factory ones seem to not last thousands of rounds without problems. So, I replace them pretty much as soon as I get a new 10 22; I have a box with new 10 22 aftermarket parts just sitting on my bench, I do enjoy my 10 22s.

Now, go figure...
Old November 29, 2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Rifleman1776

Azak may have hit on something.
I have two Ram-Line 50 round mags that jam every time. They have been exchanged twice, it is the design that will not function. I also have a RL 30 round mag. I have been using for over 10 years without a hiccup.
I mostly use Remington or Federal bulk ammo.
As for cleaning being an issue. Could be, I clean my 10/22 religiously every two years.
Old November 29, 2012, 08:50 PM   #5
alsaleen

Ive tried Both my Ruger and butler creek 25 mags both jam. they never used to and i have run thousands of rounds through them.

However I found the problem, I took the gun apart for the second time to re-examine for bent parts, my extractor is now missing, the whole thing is no longer in the bolt.... It was there wen I reassembled it last time....

Does anyone know if the Volquartsen extractor comes with everything I will need to put this back together?

Thanks guys I have no idea How it came out, I didnt take the extractor out when i cleaned it last time but you never know I guess.
Old November 30, 2012, 02:03 AM   #6
sholling

As others have said I would swap in a Volquartsen extractor and go back to factory mags.
Old December 3, 2012, 02:03 AM   #7
bshefa

If your extractor is gone your extractor plunger very well may be missing unless you can see the extractor is broken and the plunger is in place. It does not come with the Volquartsen extractor. However, it can be ordered from Brownells for around $7