The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 29, 2009, 12:02 PM   #1
big26john

Competition Gun - 7mm-08

Does anyone that shoots compteition shoots (F-Class, other shoots ranging from 600 to 1000 yards) use 7mm-08? How do they compare with the 260 Rem and the 308 win? Do competition shooters use this round?

I was looking on Berger's website and the 7mm-08 has some amazing G1BC's and G7BC's for the 168 grain and 180 grain bullets. I am guessing that this would lead to pretty good ballistics. This also seems like it would be a good round for hunting large game animals (excluding brown bear).

I was planning on setting up a long range target rifle (probably a Savage Model 10FCP McMillan). Savage can make the barrel in 7mm-08 to go with the 308 action. I would like to put a US Optic scope $2400 on it with a Horus Reticle (If I can afford it) If not I may try the Horus Raptor $850. Any thoughts on this setup for competition (can I be fairly competitive with this rig)? What bases and mounts do you recommend? Should I consider a rig with a muzzle break? I would like to stay under $1500 for the rifle.
Old July 29, 2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I shoot a little F-class and only occasionally see a 7-08. It would compete in F-Open with the various 6.5s and big 7mms. Friend of mine went to the big shoot in Lodi and said the 6.5x284 was still the most common F-Open caliber but there were some 7mm WSMs and all sorts of odds and ends. I don't know if they did a line count on what everybody had.

Said friend has a Horus but his main match scope was a Leupold and is now a Nightforce.

I am not really qualified to spend your money, but will note that a muzzle break is not allowed in F-class and I have never seen one on a Palma rifle.

There is a world of specialized information and experienced shooters at:
http://www.usrifleteams.com/lrforum/
Old July 29, 2009, 08:54 PM   #3
exercion

I haven't had any experience with the 7-08 for matches, but my basic thought would be that the 7-08 is lacking a bit in the horsepower dept for driving the heavy 180gr high BC pills. Especially when you could have a straight .284 Win and have much more capacity. All that said, if I were looking to get a budget (under $1500) rifle for F-Class shooting I'd likely just buy one of the Savage f-class rifles and go play.

Eric