The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 13, 2011, 11:26 PM   #1
Lurch37

EAA Witness Troubles

Recently, I purchased an EAA Witness Match .45acp. It was used but in very good condition, and it was very resonably priced. I've always wanted one since they felt good in my hand. Today I found time to shoot it and came away frustrated with it's performance.

I only shot 50 rounds, so 5 mags worth, but with each mag, somewhere along the way, about the 4th or 5th round, it would mis-fire. I would manually cock the hammer and pull the trigger. In each instance, the round would fire, then I would experience what I would describe as a quick double tap, with the next round firing instantly with very little trigger pull from me. (Or so it seemed).

Is my trigger finger bouncing off the trigger guard and contacting the trigger hard enough to fire the gun that quickly? Something else? I don't understand the mis-fire either as it seems to fire when I cock the hammer and try it again?

I don't want to give up so quickly as it seemed to be accurate, but I'm not really fond of non reliable guns. Any thoughts?
Old November 14, 2011, 01:36 AM   #2
10-96

Just a wild guess, but I'm guessing someone tried their own trigger job witchery or spring swaps- or both. When your'e firing, do you hold the trigger to the rear until you get back on target? Not doing that, may well have negative effects, but it shouldn't on a firearm with an unmolested trigger. Call the EEA folks, they (or their authorized repair folks) would be the most logical one's to make it right.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 14, 2011, 08:31 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

I sent my own 45 Witness to EAA a couple years ago, and it was returned in superb form.
Old November 14, 2011, 09:07 AM   #4
Japle

Sounds like someone's been inside your pistol who shouldn't have been there.

Call this guy: Henning Wallgren, 720-352-1080. He's in Colorado and is the ranking Witness guru in your area.

His website is www.henningshootsguns.com
Old November 14, 2011, 04:37 PM   #5
sgms

I must agree, it seems some garage gun bender has had a run at it. Let EAA fix it. Once it's running correctly I think you will love it. I wouldn't trade or sell mine.
Old November 14, 2011, 08:56 PM   #6
Lurch37

Thanks guys for your help! I now need to decide if I want to not only spend more money on this pistol but even mess with the thing at all. If the former, I will check into that guys website.
Old November 14, 2011, 10:01 PM   #7
ltc444

i have not used the EAA Witness in 45 but I love my 9mm. After some initial feed problems, I find it to be extremely and as accurate as guns two to three times the cost.

get it checked out and I think you will fall in love.
Old November 16, 2011, 10:53 AM   #8
gb6491

Lurch37,
Your Witness Match should have an over-travel screw on the trigger: try backing it off a bit to give the trigger a little more travel (thinking that it is now adjusted to the point where it is not allowing the trigger to move far enough for correct reset of the sear/hammer).
Regards,
Greg

Last edited by gb6491; November 16, 2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old November 16, 2011, 11:01 AM   #9
overkill0084

Quote:
Lurch37,
Your Witness Match should have an over-travel screw on the trigger: try backing it off a bit to give the trigger a little more travel.
+1

I made this mistake myself. Lower the hammer manually. If you're careful you may be able to feel the resistance as the hammer catches on the half cock notch ever so slightly. It doesn't take much to cause problems.
They are nice pistols, enjoy.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 5, 2013, 06:56 PM   #10
ngjandm

witness match hammer seemed to drop on its own

I did a search on this and found this old thread. it has happened to me twice. The witness match elite .45 that I purchased brand new, with no changes whatsoever on the pistol. both times at the range, luckily i was following good practice, pistol always facing downrange. i'll have to use it more to see if it happens again, but both times, right after I fired, lowered the gun, just tried to relax a bit before aiming and firing again, i've learned to keep my finger off the trigger as well, but I am new to guns for just over a year, so can't say for sure if my finger was on the trigger, but I can say I have instilled in myself to keep the finger off, but basically had an AD, with it both times. so when I read this thread after doing some searching. I am a little suspect about the pistol.