The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 10, 2012, 08:07 AM   #1
hoppy70

Remington 870 Shotguns - Learning How They Work

Remington 870 Shotguns - Learning How They Work During my study and research I have found the following statements that I am having some concerns with as to which are true or false. Can you list which statements are true or false? Thanks for your help.

1. Note #4. The action bar lock locks the action bars so that the gun can be pumped freely - True or false
2. Note #5. The action bar lock is also a disconnector - True or false
3. Note #19. When the gun is locked up, the locking block and the slide assembly rest flat on flat - True or false
4. Note #24. When driving out serrated pins the serrated end comes out first and goes back in last -True or false
5. Note #26. When installing the extractor back into the bolt, the spring and plunger go in first. Next the extractor itself can be used to push in the spring-loaded plunger and seat the extractor in place - True or false
6. Note #27. The firing pin must go in the bolt before the locking block - True or false
7. Note #28. The extractor hook must be slightly positive - True or false

Last edited by hoppy70; May 10, 2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old May 10, 2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

#2. TRUE. When the action bar lock drops down allowing the action to be operated, it presses the trigger link, preventing the trigger from dropping the hammer.

#3. I'm not sure what's this means.
The slide pushes the locking block upward when the action goes forward. What pushes it up is the "lump" on the slide pushing upward on the locking block ramped surface.

#4. TRUE. The purpose of the splines on the end of the pin is to provide a tight fit to prevent the pin from coming out. If the spline end is driven through the hole the splines will be compressed and the pin won't lock in place.

#6. True. The locking block must be installed by sliding it upward from the bottom of the bolt slot. If the firing pin is already in the bolt, the locking block can't be installed.
What prevents the locking block from being installed from the top of the bolt is the roll pin on the side of the block. This fits into the half-moon cut in the bolt.

#7. Again, not sure by what this means.