The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2004, 12:16 AM   #1
User Name

USAS 12 Shotgun info

I ran across an article on one that was written in the late 90's. It says..quote: In 1994 under the new US law it was classified as a Class III "Destructive device"
Are they refering to the AWB, if so is it legal to own now with out the Class III red tape?
I never considered a shotgun to be recreational (as in shooting cans and such) I always considered a shotgun as "sporting" (hunting, clay, etc.) But that thing looks wicked fun... And talk about home defence!!!???? Boy, howdy!

For the curious: http://www.securityarms.com/20010315.../1000/1005.htm
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!
Old September 23, 2004, 01:21 PM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

The AWB does not control the legality of destructive devices. They are regulated under NFA rules. There can be no new NFA items ( USAS 12 shotguns etc.) under the '86 machinegun ban, ones that can be owned by us peons that is. Firearms existing at the time of the ban could be grandfathered in if they were registered or amnesty registered later, otherwise they are contraband according to the BATFE.
Old September 23, 2004, 01:45 PM   #3
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

They are still DD's regulated by NFA '34.

Bear in mind that they are notoriously ammo-sensitive, and that mags don't exactly grow on trees.
Old September 23, 2004, 04:14 PM   #4
BTR

Wait, did the '86 machingun ban really ban DD also???
Old September 23, 2004, 06:20 PM   #5
User Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
They are still DD's regulated by NFA '34.
See thats what I was thinking....or maybe even '86 like fal308 said, but when I saw '94, I was like "hey...maybe there legal now!??"
And yes your right Tamara, the practicality of them is not very high up there...this as more just a curiosity about the law than the gun it's self...while it would be cool if someone walked up and said "here, you can have this" it's definatly low on my "wishlist"...
"Whenever Governments mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution."
Rep. Elbridge Gerry of Massachusetts - 1789

GUN CONTROL....IT'S NOT A NEW IDEA......JUST A BAD ONE!