The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2000, 11:48 AM   #1
Orion_VTOL

I was wondering if an aftermarket Browning HP barrel will fit in the FEG PJK-9HP? I'd like to get an extended, and ported barrel.
Thanks!
Old September 7, 2000, 02:20 PM   #2
BBBBill

I've tried swapping them out & had no problems with fit & function. I own several FN/Browning HP's & a couple of the FEG's. Of course any new part might need to be fitted. Even "drop in" parts sometimes need a little.
Old September 8, 2000, 09:32 AM   #3
Orion_VTOL

If fitting is needed, how so? I would hate to blow a bunch of money having a smith fit a barrel to an inexpensive gun.

BTW, do you think an extended/ported barrel would make the FEG more accurate? I have to aim a little high with mine. Fixed sites.
Old September 8, 2000, 02:34 PM   #4
BBBBill

Fitting involves insuring that the locking lugs properly engage the lug cuts in the slide, that there is not too much fore & aft movement of the barrel (replace barrel), & that the cam lug on the bottom of the barrel allows the barrel to cam down as the gun recoils & move smoothly into lock up without binding. Most factory barrels will drop right in with no fitting. Aftermarket barrels will more than likely require some attention.
I don't believe that an extended and/or ported barrel will make any difference due to the lenght or ports. Barrel quality & fit are far more important. Ports can and sometimes do adversly affect accuracy. It depends on how they are made. Too much info/opinion on that subject to cover here. As to the Federal Arms barrels that are commonly seen for sale in the various configurations, I've had mixed results. They appear to be resonably well made/machined. The 1911 barrels have been accurate after a LOT of fitting, although not the equal of a good Wilson, Brown, or BARSTO. The Walther PP/PPK barrels were a nightmare to fit. Once in, they proved to be fine also.
If you don't have a clear idea how to fit a barrel to your specific gun, please study it for a while or get a smith to fit it for you. It's not rocket science, but ruining one is no fun. Trust me. I know from experience.
Old September 8, 2000, 03:39 PM   #5
Dakotan

I've done exactly what you're proposing
....BEWARE. The Federal Arms barrel dropped into the FEG's slide, and locked up dead tight in the lugs, and the gun fell back together; then I tried to chamber a round. The dummy round made it half way in before locking everything up solid, and the fun began. In the end this barrel required so much chamber work, I really question whether I'd do it again, but so much improved accuracy (1 ragged hole at 15 yards with IMI 115gr. FMJs), I would somehow talk myself back into the you-don't-want-to-know-how-many hours it took to tightly duplicate the FEG's original chamber dimensions in the new barrel! I think I just got a barrel with an "off" chamber that was very ON everywhere else. For as low tech as the porting system is, it works quite well. I say try it. If your gun doesn't function with the new barrel, ship it back to Federal, and try an Olympic or Bar-Sto. Just my $.02 worth. Good Luck and Take Care- Dakotan
Old September 8, 2000, 05:07 PM   #6
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Try changing your sights and grip before you swap barrels.. are you shooting off hand or from a rest? How LOW is a little low? at what range?
Old September 8, 2000, 10:47 PM   #7
Orion_VTOL

I have a Hogue grip on it right now. The sightes are fixed. I don't see how the front sight would come out. It would have to be smithed for sure.

If I remember correctly, it was hitting 3 or 4 inches below where I was lining up at 10 yards. However, I really need to take it and check again. Bottom line is, at a fairly close range, if I sighted in the way you are supposed to, it was low.
Old September 9, 2000, 01:22 PM   #8
railroader

I don't know how tall your front sight is but you could try filing a little at a time off of it to to bring the impact up closer to the point of aim, then cold blue it. I had to do this with both my kimber custom and my arcus highpower. Just file a little, shoot it, file some more till you get it right. I also taped up the top of my slide while I filed just in case I slipped.
Old September 10, 2000, 06:40 PM   #9
BBBBill

I should have stated so in my earlier posts. The chambers were tight on every Federal Arms barrel I've fitted. My apologies. That seems to be the complaint I've heard repeatedly from others. Fortunately, I'm an ex FFL with a shop full of tools, including reamers.
I have tightened slide to frame & refit the bottom lug for tight lock up on the Hipower/clones. That with a good crown job has given good results with little expenditure of cash. You might try that first. The same techniques for the 1911 work pretty well here.