The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 7, 2005, 06:13 PM   #1
just one question

CZ shot guns????? and 20g vs 12g

I got a chance to shoot a pheasant last year with my father's old browning semi-auto. I want to get a semi and can’t afford a benelli or anything like that. CZs are priced good and look good. This gun will be a field gun.

Also I have not decided wether I want a 20 or 12 gauge I would prefer a 20 because all my other shot guns are in 20....but I have a question will 20 go just as far as 12 or not???

And it’s either a CZ or Charles Daly which is better???

PS this will be a clay buster and fowl gun
Old August 9, 2005, 08:06 AM   #2
dfaugh

Don't know much about CZ vs. Daly vs. quality

However, I never used anything but a 20 gauge when hunting birds and small game. Yes,you probably give up a little bit of range to a 12, but in the "real world" none of my shots were that long, and the 20 killed anything I hit with it. And the reason I preferred it was the lighter weight. While saving a pound or so in weight doesn't seem like much, after you've carried it over hill and dale for several hours, it makes a difference.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 10, 2005, 11:28 AM   #3
MEDDAC19

I know this gun is not on your short list but I think you should also look into a Mossberg model 9200. There is abit of a difference in range between the 20 and the 12, if you hunt over dogs then the loss in distance won't be a problem. I think if you are going to use the shotgun for turkey and waterfowl as well as pheasant, then you should get a 12 gauge. I have a 20 gauge O/U for hunting with my dog because I like the reduction in recoil and great handling. The 12 gauge semi takes alot of the increased felt recoil away when I'm hunting turkey.
Old September 6, 2005, 04:23 AM   #4
wrcraw1965

Dalys made by Diamond in Turkey

Looks like Diamond makes them in Turkey. Been making guns for 40 years. Even some Charles Daly trap gun models include "Diamond" in the model names. The new Charles Daly auto-loaders must be from Diamond Mfg. since they are manufactured in Turkey and also look just like a "Diamond" shotgun with all the buttons in the same places, etc.

Bill
Old September 9, 2005, 09:15 AM   #5
oletymer

Do yourself a favor and save a while longer and get a Remington, Browning, Winchester or Beretta auto. Those other guns are made in Turkey and are junk in comparison. I have seen too many people having problems with them. When you dismantle them the parts are crude to say the least.
Old September 10, 2005, 02:29 PM   #6
wardog

A buddy of mine recently bought a CZ auto in 12g new for $300. It works great. Ate every cheap shell we put through it.

I have a Beretta 391 and the CZ looks remarkably similar. Fit and finish is good. While I like my 391 better, the CZ gets my vote for the best inexpensive auto. It's made by Huglu in Turkey. I have a Huglu O/U and really like that gun. Fit and finish is real good. I may get a CZ auto in 20 just for the heck of it.