The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Brutus

Marlin 1894 .44mag bullet choice

What's the best bullet choice for the Marlin lever gun?
Reliable feeding, no fear of tubular discharge, most accurate?
I will be using either 296 or Lil gun powder with magnum primers.
Also need some feedback on over all length for the bullet being recommended.
Old January 4, 2014, 04:41 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Brutus, I don't think one size fits all with handguns or rifles. I had a Marlin 1894 for a couple of years as a project to play around with. I've always been a big fan of the 357mag and wanted to try it in a rifle (lever gun). My intent was to use it for deer hunting, which I did. In my gun I found 296 to be the best powder while shooting a Hornady 158 XTP. Surprisingly, this is the load that also shoots best in most of my 357 handguns. My buddy shoots a lot of 357 lever gun but is a cast bullet fanatic. He's gotten outstanding groups with several cast bullets and different powders. I never bothered with the cast since I'm not casting myself and I wasn't looking for target loads. I guess I'll just suggest that for hunting try the 296 and the XTP. Lil Gun didn't do well in my tests. My load would do right around 2-2.5" for a five shot group at 100yds. I could get better three shot groups (like everyone else) but throw the extra two shots in there and the truth comes out. Good luck, they are a lot of fun.
Old January 4, 2014, 06:59 PM   #3
rg1

Lots of 44 Mag rifle loaders say the Hornady 240 gr. XTP's have been very accurate in their rifles. They have been in my Winchester Trapper. Can't beat Win 296 for full power loads in 44 Mag. I load 23 grains of Win 296 with a CCI 350 Magnum primer. Check your manuals but 24 grains is often recommended and you're NOT supposed to reduce Win 296/H110 loads very much. I would never drop below 22 grains. For reduced power loads choose another powder and maybe Lil-Gun would work for reduced loads. Hornady tested the 240XTP at an oal of 1.600". They used WLP primers in Hornady brass in a Ruger Carbine.

Last edited by rg1; January 4, 2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:23 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

240g Jacketed Soft Points are a good choice too. At 1600-1700 fps, they'll expand up nicely if they get a good C.O.M. hit.
Old January 5, 2014, 02:41 AM   #5
HiBC

Oregon Trail/Lasercast used to offer sample bullet packets,I do not know if they still do.

I found the 300 gr Lasercast truncated cone bullet a fun thumper to shoot.

There is a 215 Keith swc gas check bullet that H-110/296 will zip out there pretty fast.It feeds.

On length...the bullet design plays a factor.The crimp groove tells you where to seat.

Typical of lever guns,it is a problem if length is long.We had problems with a longer ogive Keith swc in the 240 to 255 gr range,I have forgotten which.
It lifts,but wont chamber,then a second cartridge gets past the cartridge stop.

It is a bad tie-up.

If your rifle is Micro-groove it may not like cast bullets.
Old January 5, 2014, 07:51 AM   #6
Salmoneye

SAAMI specs for the .44 Mag rifles are not the same as for .44 Mag handgun...

Groove for handguns is .429", while the rifles are spec'ed at .431"...

My 1894S will only marginally shoot jacketed bullets in .429"...

The reason that people like Hornady, is because all of their '.44 Mag' bullet offerings are .430"...

My 1894S will clover-leaf the Hornady 265gr FP at 50 yards with 22gr of H110 (per the Hornady 4th Edition manual, and safe in MY rifle)...

The other thing to realize about the Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag, is that the twist rate of the barrel may or may not stabilize bullets over 270gr reliably...Some people seem to have no issues, where others do...

My particular gun does not like 300gr or larger, and won't shoot cast below .432" diameter accurately...
Old January 5, 2014, 08:03 AM   #7
Airman Basic

Been shooting this one in my Marlin
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Slips though the action smoothly, sized .432, good plinking bullet. 6 cavity mold turns them out quickly.
Old January 5, 2014, 08:50 AM   #8
Brutus

Is that round nose bullet safe in a tubular magazine?
Old January 5, 2014, 09:57 AM   #9
Airman Basic

Is in mine. I've shot thousands.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:46 AM   #10
buck460XVR

It is well known that some Marlin levers just don't like lead. While mine shoots them okay, my best accuracy at hunting velocities is with jacketed. 240 Speer, Remington, Nosler, MGs or Hornady's all shoot with similar accuracy. The Handgun caliber carbines are not really known for their superior accuracy. 2'' groups a 100 yards is considered a tackdriver. Neither the Marlin or the 77/44 perform as well with 300 grainers as they do with the 270s or 240s. For range use I use HPs, while for deer hunting I prefer SPs. I use either H110/W296 or IMR4227 under them all. The H110/W296 gives me a tad more velocity, but the IMR 4227 gives me a tad more consistency with accuracy. I believe it is because it is a tad less sensitive to ambient temperatures. I do not use Lil' Gun anymore in my revolvers and since I use the same ammo in them as I do in my carbines, the long guns no longer see it either. But if I was loading for them only I would not hesitate to use it.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:56 AM   #11
Airman Basic

Agree the Marlin's no tackdriver. But hitting a 4 inch dueling tree at a hundred yards most of the time is adequate and fun for me. The cast boolits are all I can afford in the quantities I need to keep my limited prowess up.
Old January 5, 2014, 12:31 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

I've had 3 Marlin 1894s in the last 30 years. Two in .357, one .44. What I have learned is that while each one is an individual about somethings, about other things they tend to be pretty consistant.

Lead bullets? Your gun may, or may not shoot them well. With either the micro-groove or regular barrel. More common for the Micro-groove to do poorly with lead, but any individual gun may be just the opposite.

Marlins are very intolerant of over long loads. And for some, over long is below listed max COAL. Heavier than standard bullets (240/250gr for the 44) may not feed from the magazine. If you are going to shoot the 270s & 300gr stuff, test it for cycling, before you load any quantity. There are some .44 loads that are too long for some revolver cylinders, and there are some (different) loads that are too long for Marlins to like.

Bullets with sharp edges (shoulders, usually, like SWC) may feed fine in some guns, but hang up in others. The .357 is prone to this, but it can happen in the .44s as well. If the round bounces a little on the carrier, it can become slightly mis aligned, and the edge can catch on the edge of the chamber. Bullets with a rounded shape slide right in, but a shoulder like on the SWC can sometimes hang up. IF this happens, back off the lever just a bit, so there's no pressure on the round. It will drop into place then, and you can (usually) chamber it smoothly.