The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 25, 2013, 03:02 PM   #1
uptickk

Chicago - Out of State Gun Purchase with "High Capacity" Magazine

I am looking for clarification on purchasing a handgun that includes several magazines that have a capacity of greater than 12 while living in the city of Chicago. I know the magazine capacity limit in Chicago is 12 but if I use gunbroker and transfer through an FFL near Chicago will the FFL allow the transaction since the purchase includes magazines that are larger than the legal limit? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:03 PM   #2
ming

I've done this with no problem.
Old February 25, 2013, 03:09 PM   #3
uptickk

Thanks for the quick response Ming.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:10 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

That is a question for the FFL through whom you intend to make the transfer. Some may do it, some may balk once they see a Chicago address on a DL.

Before this thread goes any further, though, I should also clarify that we will not discuss means of skirting or breaking the law.

Last edited by Spats McGee; February 25, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old February 25, 2013, 04:17 PM   #5
uptickk

I heard back from one of the FFLs and thought I would share the response. It seems that if the FFL is located in a homerule town then they are exempt from Cook County mag limits and they can transfer anything that is legal statewide in Illinois.

Just to clarify per Spats McGee's comment I am not trying to skirt or break the law. I plan on keeping the mags in the burbs with a family member that has a FOID. I just wanted to ensure I wasn't bidding on a gun with mags that was not transferable to someone that lives in Chicago.
Old February 28, 2013, 08:00 PM   #6
+1k ammo

Quote:
It seems that if the FFL is located in a homerule town then they are exempt from Cook County mag limits and they can transfer anything that is legal statewide in Illinois.
What is a homerule town?

But yes, it depends on the FFL. My current one in Cicero does not care if I have a Chicago address as I ordered a Caracal 9mm which you know how big the mags are.

Of course to be legal, the gun is not kept in the City of Chicago because it is not able to be registered.

Now, the legality of transporting a new firearm with a higher than 12 capacity through Cook County from the gun store to its destination before it has been registered anywhere is something I do not know.
I think there is a grace period of 5 days or something in Chicago. So if I got pulled over on my way back from Cicero with a new firearm that is legal in Chicago but I have obviously not registered it yet, but do intend to within the 5 day grace period, I might not get put in jail!
I would like to add some experience showing the police my CFP (Chicago Firearms Permit) but I have not gotten pulled over for anything. I keep my license, FOID card and CFP card with me whenever legally transporting firearms to the range or gun store etc.

Can't wait for concealed carry.
Old March 1, 2013, 09:04 AM   #7
uptickk

Quote:
"What is a homerule town?"
To my understanding the general idea is that once a town/village/etc. reaches 25k people they are eligible for home rule status. In general, the Illinois Constitution grants home rule communities greater legal authority to regulate for the protection of public health, safety and welfare. This also includes greater authority to incur debt and tax residents. What does it mean for firearms... Again my understanding is that if you purchase a gun in those towns that basically you can buy anything that is legal in Illinois even if it inst legal in the town you reside in (I am not implying breaking the law here). Sounds like Cicero is a home rule city. If anyone else has any additional or contradictory information please share.

Quote:
I think there is a grace period of 5 days or something in Chicago.
I am pretty sure you are correct about the 5 days grace period.

Quote:
Can't wait for concealed carry.
Me either!