The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 15, 2009, 12:31 PM   #1
KLRANGL

Clearing muzzleloader barrel

So I was digging around my closest the other day, and I found my old Dixie gun works Pedersoli rifle my dad got my when I was a kid back in the mid 90s. Its a bit like this one: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=2037
but there are some differences, notably mine is 40 cal and has one of those brass cleaning kit doors on the buttstock. Kinda like this, but with a double set trigger: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product...oducts_id=2027
Anyway, my problem lies in the fact that my two brothers, we were young at the time remember, decided it would be cool to put clay and spent 9mm brass cases down the barrel (please dont laugh). I have the barrel stripped down, but cant seem to get anything substantial though the 90 degree bend where the percussion cap housing mounts to. Any good way to de-gunk my barrel? Its probably a solid halfway full of clay and brass.

The rifle also needs a new front leaf sight and hammer, if you know of any good places to pick one up.

Thanks
Old May 15, 2009, 12:56 PM   #2
Pahoo

Clay ???
Kind of going blind here but I think I would get a sample of this clay and find a chemical that would desolve it. Then I would plan on a long term soaking and get it moving. I have made soaking tubes out of PVC to put my barrels in and fill it up with mineral spirits for soaking after a long teaching day, till I can get around to cleaning it. You have to make sure that anything you soak it in, will not remove the finish. If you have a drum and nipple assembly, does your drum have a clean-out screw?? Or you could unthread the drum from the barrel. As far as parts, Dixie should be able to help but there are others who carry parts as well. Please let us know how you make out as I have never heard of such a thing. Are you sure it doesn't have a charge in it??

Be Safe !!!
Old May 15, 2009, 01:01 PM   #3
KLRANGL

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I took the drum out so I can see the clay in the barrel. I know it isnt a charge because it was something I played with in the backyard when I was a kid. Only been fired for real once. Mineral spirts might do the job, im mostly just worried about the spent brass in it.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Hawg

Best way but not the easiest would be remove the breech plug.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Doyle

Try this. Get a bullet puller that screws onto the end of a muzzleloader ramrod. You might be able to grab all the crap one piece at a time and pull it out through the muzzle.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:08 PM   #6
MacGille

Use an air compressor. put the nozzle into the drum opening and blow the plug out with compressed air. Make sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction. The clay is probably hard as stone by now. A ball worm might be of some assistance on the ramrod to pull the junk out. WD 40 soaking in the nipple drum overnight might help.
If ye love wealth better than Liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animated contest of Freedom, go from us in Peace. We ask not your counsel or Arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. --Samuel Adams--<*ixoye><
Old May 15, 2009, 02:09 PM   #7
KLRANGL

Quote:
Best way but not the easiest would be remove the breech plug.
Breach plug?

Quote:
The clay is probably hard as stone by now
Actually, from what I can tell, its still really soft. The non-drying kind as it were. It is like ten years old now, go figure.

I like the air compressor idea...
Old May 15, 2009, 02:46 PM   #8
Pahoo

Quote:
Breach plug?
Yep, thar's one thar but hold off on this till you have exhausted the other methods.

Try a combination of Doyle's suggestion and MacGille and solvent as well. Sounds like you are working with modeling clay and if it's still soft you should be able to work it out a little at a time. Break it up some with the patch puller jag and try to work the brass with the screw jag. You definitely have an adventure before you !! Again, good luck and keep us posted.

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; May 15, 2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: spelin
Old May 18, 2009, 05:58 PM   #9
KLRANGL

So, got the barrel clear after a bit of clever application of yard marker flags. Dont ask.

Anyway, you wont ever beleive what was inside.

A bunch of wire, 2 9mm casings, 2 22cal casings, a chamber cleaning attachment inserted backwards, a piece of a plastic toy soldier, and 3 frickin screwdrivers! I mean seriously. You gota love younger brothers

Oh and a bunch of nasty clay came out too.

Now to go find some replacement parts for it
Old May 18, 2009, 09:12 PM   #10
Old No7

Wow...............

Quote:
Now to go find some replacement parts for it
I'd be looking for a new brother!!!

(And I have 3 already........ Sounds like sumpin' we would have done when we were young and... un-edgemakated...

Old No7