The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 3, 2008, 09:58 PM   #1
alfred

Hoppe's #9

My old bottles of Hoppe's #9 smell quite a bit different from the newer stuff.Does anyone know why,or what is different in it?Is the new better or worse than the old for cleaning guns?

I do like the old smell better for a aftershave lotion.

I AIN'T DEAD AND I AIN'T QUITTING!alfred
Old May 3, 2008, 11:01 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

There was a chemical in the older stuff that the EPA decided was too dangerous.

The new stuff works just as well as the old stuff, and unlike some of the more aggressive new copper solvents, Hoppe's won't harm your gun.
Old May 3, 2008, 11:13 PM   #3
Swampghost

I love the smell of the old stuff and have always thought that they should make 'guy stuff' from it. Aftershave, cologne, soap, I'd buy it!
Old May 4, 2008, 03:55 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think it still has ammonia in it, so keep it away from nickel plated guns.

Jim
Old May 4, 2008, 05:29 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

Hoppes no. 9

Alfred,
I used it 54 years ago in courting my wife. She was a country farm girl and it really did things for her.
I still wear it on special ocassions and it still works.
The modern type women says it stinks.
I still have squirreled away a few bottles, I am sure you have too.
Some enviromentalist politician probably thought it caused global warming = I know better. I wish all of them would stiffle.
Harry B.
Old May 4, 2008, 07:50 PM   #6
Scorch

Hoppe's used to have nitrobenzene in it (5%). Nitrobenzene was included in the formulation because nitrated organic compounds will dissolve other nitrate compounds ("like dissolves like"), and powder fowling is a mixture of nitrates. Nitrobenzene was removed from the formulation in the 1980s because the State of California listed nitrobenzene as a carcinogen. The new formulation has most of the same ingredients, with the notable exception of nitrobenzene. Hoppe's does not contain ammonia, but it does contain organic ammonium compounds to slowly dissolve copper.
Old May 4, 2008, 07:54 PM   #7
Darren007

I thought the formula was an ancient Chinese secret?!
Old May 4, 2008, 10:43 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

I thought the formula was an ancient Chinese secret?!

BITE YOUR TONGUE.
Hoppe's was always 100% AMERICAN, made for real American gun owners.

Only Americans would invent a great bore solvent that also smelled good.
If the Chinese ever invented a bore solvent it'd smell like braised camel poop.
Old May 5, 2008, 05:56 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

No matter what the compound is, ammonia or anything else that dissolves copper had best be kept away from nickel plated guns. If it can get at the copper undercladding, it will dissolve the copper and leave the nickel unsuppported and peeling.

Jim
Old May 6, 2008, 04:57 PM   #10
alfred

Thanks all.Now how about these chemicals?

Thanks for the answers.I ain't got any "Nickle plated guns".I do not have anything to say about those collectible 2 oz.bottles with the raised Hoppe's #9 made into the top of the bottle with a gin-u-wine metal cap.Ain't going to talk about any contents.I would hate to have a government man wanting my bottle collection to put in a hazardous waste dump just in case they were not dry.I sure wish I was wearing it when I courted my first wife.She only had two likes.Momma and money!

Ok.What can anyone tell me about (other than do not drink) a old can that says "Contains Toluene,Acetone,Methanol,Hexanes,Methyl Ethyl ketone,Butoxyethanol,Isopropanol and Mixed eylenes.It is all printed on the can in paint.It also says "Cannot be made non-poisonous".Do you reckon that there is any truth to this?

What all would this stuff have been used to dissolve?Thanks.

Old May 6, 2008, 06:54 PM   #11
Scorch

Quote:
"Contains Toluene,Acetone,Methanol,Hexanes,Methyl Ethyl ketone,Butoxyethanol,Isopropanol and Mixed eylenes
What all would this stuff have been used to dissolve?
Well, all of those are organic solvents, and many of them are/were used to dissolve dried paints and varnishes, gelled oils, plastics and the like. Toluene was the primary active ingredient in plastic model glues back in the '60s, acetone was the solvent of choice for spray paints, methanol was used as a degreaser and to dissolve shellac, hexane was used as a quick-drying solvent and spot remover, methy-ethyl ketone is fingernail polish remover, isopropanol is used to dilute epoxy resins. All in all, sounds like cancer in a can.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:41 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Alfred, if you do decide to drink that stuff, make sure you change your will in my favor first.

Jim
Old May 6, 2008, 10:21 PM   #13
homefires

If you don't like it , I will pay postage and be glad to have it. Nothing is better!

"Well, all of those are organic solvents, and many of them are/were used to dissolve dried paints and varnishes, gelled oils, plastics and the like. Toluene was the primary active ingredient in plastic model glues back in the '60s, acetone was the solvent of choice for spray paints, methanol was used as a degreaser and to dissolve shellac, hexane was used as a quick-drying solvent and spot remover, methy-ethyl ketone is fingernail polish remover, isopropanol is used to dilute epoxy resins. All in all, sounds like cancer in a can."

I was most close to Chernobyl. I would still have it.

Good god! In the state of Californicated , what don't cause caner?
Old May 6, 2008, 10:27 PM   #14
alfred

Old Crow,RC Cola and the company sex symbol.

It worked wonders on shotgun barrels after a day in a dove field with plastic wads years ago.They then cleaned them with Hoppe's and oiled them.

I was wondering if it would help on that powder,carbon and leaded fouled bores of the 22's I been working on for EVER.I alternate with OLD Marvel Mystery oil,the OLD Military bore cleaner,Kroil oil,OLD Outers,and the OLD Hoppe's along with bronze brushes each cleaning.I am presently on the Outers cycle.It is coming,but it is so slow and there is a good chance it may be all for nothing when I get to the bore.They are both looking good where I can see the bore.

It is "Berryman,B-12 CHEMTOOL for Gas Tank,Fuel Injectors,Carburetor,Crankcase"."In the oil"."In the Gas".

I have worked with some of them over the years.This mix will even eat through chemical resistant gloves in a short while.Years in some of this stuff is most likely why I am eat up with cancer.My blood is probably half Toluene and the other half Xylenes as long as I worked in them.I have been blistered by it many times when it got under my clothes and on my skin.I learned to strip faster than I could sneeze once I learned that you did not blister if you got your clothes off fast enough.I got to be known as the company sex symbol because I got naked so much.

Jim.I would help you with the will if I could.Being I am married to a woman that would skin both of us,I better leave the will alone.This is for your benefit as I don't have anything to lose by drinking it at my stage.I think that I will stick with my Old Crow and RC Cola.It sure smells a lot better.I got my first taste of it on the Santee over 50 years ago.Been tasting it ever since.I can't see much reason to go to drinking Carburetor cleaner now!

Thanks again.

I AIN'T DEAD AND I AIN'T QUITTING.alfred
Old May 6, 2008, 10:37 PM   #15
alfred

How?

homefires.I think you would have a hard time shipping it now days!

I was wondering if I could find someone to embalm me with it.It should make me out last the Pharaohs as long as no one lit up around me.

I AIN'T DEAD AND i AIN'T QUITTING!alfred
Old May 7, 2008, 04:24 PM   #16
Harry Bonar

alfred

Alfred
I like you guy.
Harry B.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:15 PM   #17
Colokeb

I put a little in my bath water.
Old May 7, 2008, 07:33 PM   #18
Swampghost

I just found 1/2 of a bottle, I'm guessing that it must be from the 50's to early 60's. Must be 'the good stuff'. I love the smell too!
Old May 8, 2008, 03:45 PM   #19
brickeyee

Quote:
methy-ethyl ketone is fingernail polish remover
Way to 'hot a solvent for fingernail polish remover.
Acetone was used for years, acetonitriles are also common.

Quote:
isopropanol is used to dilute epoxy resins
Isopropanol is isopropyl alcohol, AKA 'rubbing alcohol'.
Not useful in epoxy formulations.

MEK is used to dilute epoxy, or even break it down after it has cured.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:59 PM   #20
Scorch

Quote:
Isopropanol is isopropyl alcohol, AKA 'rubbing alcohol'.
Not useful in epoxy formulations.
Rubbing alcohol is a solution of isopropyl alcohol and water (60/40 IIRC). Rubbing alcohol is NOT good for thinning epoxies, but I have been using Isopropyl alcohol 98% USP as a thinner for over 20 years, works great. Much more flammable than xylene (which I am told is the thinner of choice), but it thins it down and evaporates quickly after the epoxy starts to cure.
Old May 9, 2008, 12:52 AM   #21
Bill DeShivs

I have never tried to thin epoxy with it, but isopropyl alcohol will clean uncured epoxy up very well. I would think it would thin it, but havee no idea whether it will affect the glue bond.
Bill
Old May 9, 2008, 10:23 AM   #22
brickeyee

Quote:
Rubbing alcohol is a solution of isopropyl alcohol and water (60/40 IIRC).
All the way up to 95% isopropyl alcohol (though for medical use anything past about 60% has no benefit).

I fully realize 'rubbing alcohol' is cut with water, but a lot of folks would not recognize isopropanol.

MEK and Xylene both cost more, but are more effective.
If you have had good luck with iso go for it.
When I was potting electronics it was not suitable.

MEK must be used carefully or it weakens the epoxy.
Xylene is better at avoiding voids since it tends to come out while the epoxy is still pliable and can be worked.
Old May 10, 2008, 01:41 AM   #23
alfred

Thanks Harry

Thanks Harry.I like me too.This is why I will be the very first to regret my demise!

Old May 10, 2008, 03:05 AM   #24
nstoolman1

Hoppe's #9

Funny it should be mentioned as a calogne. My mom(RIP) use to tease us kids. She said she would put a dab behind each of her ears to please my dad. I also have an old bottle left over from my dads old gun cleaning box. I use it on my guns and it still works great.
Old May 10, 2008, 12:23 PM   #25
alfred

Bryle cream to engine oil

This is getting funny,but I knew a young fellow who at 16 had a Duck tail haircut and used Bryle cream and Hoppe's #9 in his hair.He claimed girls told him the smell of guns was sexy!I know he used it as I saw him use it and you could always smell it on him.At 25,he was bald as was his father at that age.At about 50 he died of a heart attack but he was eat up with skin cancers including his head.We figured it was the Bryle cream.I don't see how a life time on a Shrimp Boat wearing just shorts with no shirt or hat had anything to do with it.

No joke,I do believe that we all need to keep it ALL off of us as much as possible.

I worry a lot about the ones who use automotive engine oils on guns as I do.I worry most about the ones using it on semi-auto guns and firing them with others around.We all know that some of the additives in auto engine oil is BAD STUFF,yet many blaze away around others without warning them,including children.All guns spray or mist any excess lubes.Semi auto's are just worse.Don't get me wrong.I will use what I want to use when I want to use it.I will not force such on others without their knowledge.Just saying,"I am using auto engine oil" tells many folk nothing.Most people have no idea what the dangers are and a lot of gun owners do not.I believe there is a proper use and place for all chemicals.

I do not believe their are very many ranges who have insurance that would allow the willful misuse of hazardous materials being misted on the firing line.Also the EPA would shut them down.We would be fined as individuals.We may not think of it,but this is what is happening when we use this oil.As I said.I use it.I do not misuse it irresponsibly to the best of my belief.It is unlawful to create any mist with harmful materials for others to breath is what we need to remember.We would be arrested immediately if it were known that we were doing this."Misuse" is the thing that gets most afoul of the law with chemicals.

We have lost the use of many great working chemicals in my lifetime simply because so many abused the use of them.Us older folk miss them.The younger folk never got to know them!