The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 26, 2007, 12:59 AM   #1
Night Trooper

I have a Dillon 550 ?

First off... Hello all! I'm a newbie here and have enjoyed catching up on people's posts..

Now for the meat of the matter..
Any hints (aside from changing brands ) to stop the shellplate of a 550 from tightening up the center bolt as the star indexer is turned? I tried lubing the bolt and the detent ball and seeing if I could find the "sweet spot" where it wouldn't happen - No luck there. It just started doing it one day, slows things down considerably.
I saw an old ad for a "turbo indexer" which had roller bearings on a washer that sat in the middle of the shell plate. They went for $35 or so, anyone have experience with these? ($35 for sanity while reloading = worthwhile expense in my book!)
Thanks for any info,
Steve

Last edited by Night Trooper; December 26, 2007 at 01:01 AM. Reason: cuz I can't type
Old December 26, 2007, 01:13 AM   #2
Ultima-Ratio

Dillon?

Step away from the machine and read the directions You'll note a set screw on the ram.......................
Old December 26, 2007, 02:50 AM   #3
mc223

And in case you have misplaced the manual, here is a link. See Fig. 10

http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/...l_may_2007.pdf
Old December 26, 2007, 08:43 AM   #4
KeithB78

Indeed that is a easy fix. Welcome to the forum
Old December 26, 2007, 07:37 PM   #5
Night Trooper

Thanks!!!!

Well lo and behold a twist of the wrench solved the problem (thank god the screw was still there!). Thanks all.

I guess this post just sets the bar for my future questions/comments on this forum

Thanks for the link to the manual, I got the press used and did not recieve it in the deal. Damn, almost made it through 2007 without reading directions.....Foiled again!